USB charger replacement for cigarette lighter oulet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is there a electrical outlet that has/is a built in USB charger, that I can replace a electrical outlet (cigarette lighter) with?

Yeah I know, I can put a USB adapter in there, but 1) the 'lid' won't close and 2) they get misplaced, and I don't want to listen to the whining etc.

I saw something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-20944422-20983937-USB-Auxiliary-Plug-Retainer-Ring-for-Chevy-GMC-Cadillac/131445661911?epid=2292422996&hash=item1e9ac5a0d7:g:qRsAAOSwWKdbF6G1

But don't know if the connector in the back works with it. If someone knows about one of these, let me know the part #?

thanks,

Ron

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With those, you'd take a USB cord with a micro USB cord and plug it into the back of your 2010+ radio/nav unit and the back of that adapter. I do not remember if it was male or female into the radio.

I did it and then removed them. Only one plug and on long trips my wife also needed to recharge her phone or whatever. Mine also were wired different since the radio was pre-USB.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With those, you'd take a USB cord with a micro USB cord and plug it into the back of your 2010+ radio/nav unit and the back of that adapter. I do not remember if it was male or female into the radio.

I did it and then removed them. Only one plug and on long trips my wife also needed to recharge her phone or whatever. Mine also were wired different since the radio was pre-USB.

That port is in use, by an SSD with all my music on it. (the port is not a hub, so it can only do 1 device).. Also, I don't like cables lying/flapping around.

Maybe I just need some BYOUC stickers....

Ron

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya if you look around on ebay there are some made that just plug in and replace the standard cigarette adapter ones, I personally just added 2 usb ports to the rear of the center console for the kids and still retained the regular plug, then added 2 more in the 3rd row on the passenger side
a quick search yielded this one, but I think there is one with 2 ports also, may have to just look harder
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-209444...676438&hash=item56718ee465:g:r6EAAOSwxupbF57P

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That port is in use, by an SSD with all my music on it. (the port is not a hub, so it can only do 1 device).. Also, I don't like cables lying/flapping around.

Maybe I just need some BYOUC stickers....

Ron

No, what I'm talking about, everything is behind the dash, nothing external.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya if you look around on ebay there are some made that just plug in and replace the standard cigarette adapter ones, I personally just added 2 usb ports to the rear of the center console for the kids and still retained the regular plug, then added 2 more in the 3rd row on the passenger side
a quick search yielded this one, but I think there is one with 2 ports also, may have to just look harder
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-209444...676438&hash=item56718ee465:g:r6EAAOSwxupbF57P

Hi Wes,

I saw that one, but it looked like it needs to be wired with a micro USB cable?

How did you wire to power to it? (I only want to use it for charging)

thanks,

Ron

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Wes,

I saw that one, but it looked like it needs to be wired with a micro USB cable?

How did you wire to power to it? (I only want to use it for charging)

thanks,

Ron
you just remove the existing cigarette power plug and plug in the usb replacement, its that simple, the plug on the back is factory, no wiring needs to be done.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you just remove the existing cigarette power plug and plug in the usb replacement, its that simple, the plug on the back is factory, no wiring needs to be done.

That is what I was wondering, if the existing connector from the harness would work with it.
Also, I looked for the "plug" with the two USB ports, but didn't see any of those. (do you know of a part number for that?)

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is what the cigarette lighter connector looks like, in my Tahoe

20180909_181428.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14