Adding USB to dash...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, I did this for my aftermarket Pioneer 8400BH head unit.

For people who have stock Navigation and have the USB in your center console, this is the same thing, using the same wire to your head unit, just in the dash instead of in your center console. SUVs get the USB in the center console, Trucks got the USB on the dash.

This will play music and video files from my iPhone, iPad, thumb drive and a regular hard drive. However, on some instances there's not enough power to start the hard drive, so you will have to power it up using the power cord to a cig lighter adapter or something else. It will also charge my iPhone as well.

Part numbers:

USB Cover Plug - 20983937
USB Receptacle (in dash) - 20944422

The only difference in the cover is it shows the USB symbol. The plain cover on your cig lighter will work. See this thread for more info as it's the thread the idea came from...

USB cigarette lighter port

On to the pics...

photo-3.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Remove radio surround
IMG_5644.jpg

2 7mm screws to remove the cig lighter piece.
IMG_5645.jpg

Then there are 2 clips holding the cig lighter in place. You have to open the cover to pull the cig plug out. and then 2 clips to get the cover off
IMG_5646.jpg

Put the USB cover back in place
IMG_5647.jpg

push the USB receptacle back in
IMG_5649.jpg

Using an aftermarket USB male to mini USB male adapter, pug the mini USB in to the back of the new receptacle and the USB in to the back of your aftermarket radio.
IMG_5652.jpg

Put everything back together just like you took it apart and your done...

IMG_5653.jpg

IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

photo-6.jpg

Edit:

For those of you that want to add USB charging only, you can simply get a USB cigarette lighter adapter and tuck the main part behind the radio like this...

2_zps56d0f624.jpg

1_zpsa51c0e20.jpg

Last edited:

Young28

The Yukon God
Reaction score
pretty sure your the shit. just saying. good work as always.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to get a new HU and do a mod similar to this! :High 5: