URGENT need of HELP : LCA line up with Shock Ears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something definitely doesn't seem right. If you look at the upper spring cap, the old one has the "outboard" stud clocked with the tail of the spring.
upload_2019-8-25_9-42-1.png

The new one does not seem to be lined up the same.
upload_2019-8-25_9-42-52.png

You shouldn't have to tear them apart fully if you have a spring compressor, you should be able to take some tension off the strut and rotate it to align it like the original.

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
L and Middle look about same but are a bit off still.

Going to disconnect lca from spindle... And see if that extra wiggle room helps??

But still concerned of other side.

IMG_20190825_104931.jpg

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the pass side installed. See shock mount, coil too at top fall in a line between ears of lower shock.

IMG_20190825_105235.jpg

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something definitely doesn't seem right. If you look at the upper spring cap, the old one has the "outboard" stud clocked with the tail of the spring.
View attachment 229303

The new one does not seem to be lined up the same.
View attachment 229304

You shouldn't have to tear them apart fully if you have a spring compressor, you should be able to take some tension off the strut and rotate it to align it like the original.

Yes, and these are Z71 springs (Moog replacement). So stiff, new springs. I do not feel confident with the AutoZone spoon spring compressors with this task. It's why I asked the "pros" to do this assembly for me.

First guy broke a Bilstein, sheared the top nut threaded rod right off .. second shop didn't get it right either.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, and these are Z71 springs (Moog replacement). So stiff, new springs. I do not feel confident with the AutoZone spoon spring compressors with this task. It's why I asked the "pros" to do this assembly for me.

Agree. I do not trust Autozone compressors either. I didn't know what you had at your disposal. Is there a 24 hour diesel repair shop close by that might be willing to help get things lined up? They have heavy duty stuff.

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree. I do not trust Autozone compressors either. I didn't know what you had at your disposal. Is there a 24 hour diesel repair shop close by that might be willing to help get things lined up? They have heavy duty stuff.
Good call and none close. Not paying call out. Most look mobile CMV repairs.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aah, I thought they came like that, whoever put them together didn't realize they have to be a certain way, the top end of the spring should line up with the stud, that's how you can tell the difference between left & right, the top end of the spring should be visible and pointing outwards on both left and right when installed.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good call and none close. Not paying call out. Most look mobile CMV repairs.

I'm grasping at straws here and I'm not sure where you live, but any farm implement stores around or farmers that you know that might have some big tools?

I looked at the stuff that Harbor Freight has and I'm not sure I would trust them any more than Autozone.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to fix that would be to compress the spring enough to relieve enough tension that you can rotate the top plate to the correct orientation. I'd do it with the top of the strut bolted in place so you can use the holes in the lower arm for guidance.

I've never had a problem with the loan-a-tool strut compressors from any of the auto supply stores. Just check it before you leave cuz some people abuse and damage them and the store doesn't always check them when they're returned.

Should something slip or fail, there's no danger of the spring flying off cuz you're not removing it. You're just squishing it a little.

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm f'd . The project ain't finishing today. I need proper tools to see this job through. This time I'll hold their hand.

New headlights, new sway bar links .. not what I had planned. Maybe another 8 months til I get the time. Hate paying for a "pro" to do it.... I've seen their work many times before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094