Trans Pan removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be aware that when you slide the pan out, that you don't damage a shift solenoid. A friend owns a trans shop and warned me of that years ago.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I saw a video at you tube about using a 2x4 and a ratchet strap to pull/flex the exhaust down just enough for clearance. You have to remember that getting the pan down is only half the battle. You have to get the pan and gasket back up in that hole.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought @iamdub had a trick for this very situation for "persuading" the Y-pipe to cooperate.

This Y-pipe?

img_1885-jpg.jpg

Persuaded to cooperate:

img_1890-jpg.jpg

:yaoface2:

I recall it being tight, but not very difficult. But, mine is a 4L60E so the space constraints are probably different than the OP's 6L80E. I also have a lift so I can easily use prybars and/or lengths of 2x4, which is what I might have done. I just didn't put much thought into it and didn't bother to memorize whatever it was I did. Actually, I probably did my trans stuff after I cut the pipe out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That linkage bracket is a PITA but once you get the torx broke loose, it goes pretty smooth. Chase those torx threads and holes and lube when reinstall.

OP
OP
B

blondie70

Reaction score
I got 'er done. I used the jack method to raise the rear of the trans, as was outlined here. Got it finished today. No leaks yet...ha ha. Thanks for all the good suggestions for this job. 2 or 3 or7 heads are sure better than one ! thank you

Caveman1975

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did this job on my 2014. Had the same problem. I used a 3 or 4 ft piece of 2x4 steel that I had laying around.
Wedge it above the exhaust. Push it up against the chassis rail. Use a floor Jack on the end. It becomes a lever, and the chassis rail is the fulcrum.
Pushes the exhaust down just enough to slide the pan off, without taking the exhaust apart.

TXbarney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seem logical that raising the transmission is simpler and less involved than taking frozen bolts loose on the exhaust.
However if you are more skilled with a sawsall all than wrenches I guess you would start cutting.
* consider this...... note that the cross over goes under the trans pan for about 10-12 inches. how much heat
do you think that radiates into the transmission? While you are under the vehicle, make a heat shield to reduce the
heat from the exhaust raising the transmission fluid temp. .... really cheap insurance for the transmission.

Attachments

• FluidChart.jpg
    FluidChart.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401