Trans Pan removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blondie70

Reaction score
Howdy. New guy here. 2012 Tahoe with 6 speed. I am changing the trans filter and having one heck of a problem removing the pan. It don't wanna come out !
Anyone have any tips for me to get the pan off ?
Thanks a million
Pete

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Are you saying can't get it unbolted or is unbolted and will not clear to come out?

OP
OP
B

blondie70

Reaction score
Howdy. Unbolted easily. Not a lot of room with the exhaust right under it. Don't want to slide out. Jamming on somethhing in the trans.....by the way...I am a viet vet also....groundpounder '68 to '69.
Thanks, Pete

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy. Unbolted easily. Not a lot of room with the exhaust right under it. Don't want to slide out. Jamming on somethhing in the trans.....by the way...I am a viet vet also....groundpounder '68 to '69.
Thanks, Pete
Hi Pete,

Is the pan "stuck" to the case?

If so, Take a smooth, flat blade screwdriver and position it on the pan side of the gasket at a bolt hole location then tap until you can separate the pan from the transmission. Dont worry if you dent the pan sealing surface there as it willl flatten out when you put the bolt back in and torque it down.

OP
OP
B

blondie70

Reaction score
Nope....loose...just won't come out. No room between the trans and the exhaust pipe. I can move it all around, and it almost comes out..but something in the trans is protruding down enough to stop it from sliding out. !!!
thank you

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope....loose...just won't come out. No room between the trans and the exhaust pipe. I can move it all around, and it almost comes out..but something in the trans is protruding down enough to stop it from sliding out. !!!
thank you
I have to drop the exhaust on mine to get the pan out of the way so i think its pretty standard expectation that it has to come off...use Kroil on all fasteners the night before if it hasnt been off in ages and you live in a high humidity/moisture area.

OP
OP
B

blondie70

Reaction score
Man, that sounds like a lot of work on my back !
It almost comes out. I am gonna fiddle with it tomorrow. I like the idea of lifting the back of the trans better than messing with that PIA exhaust !!
I will give a report here tomorrow if I ain't too down in the back to type ..ha ha ha ha
Thank you gents for the timely advice
Pete

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other option is a big bar. Use it to slightly pry down the wye section of the pipe - use cross member as leverage point. With it flexed down slightly, the pan will slip out. Seems stupid, but have done it myself numerous times on my vehicles over the years. All my friends at the dealerships do the same thing. It may be a 2 person job on the floor. And when I say pry bar, I mean something substantial that can give you some reasonable leverage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076

Latest posts