2011 Tahoe 4x4 oil pan replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe 4x4, which is going to have to have the stock oil pan replaced due to one of the oil cooler bracket bolt holes being “stripped” and causing a significant oil leak. I’m going to buy an new OEM oil pan from Rock Auto (GM GENUINE 12640746) my question is what am I in for? Does anyone have any tips or a YouTube video to review?

Thanks, in advance

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe 4x4, which is going to have to have the stock oil pan replaced due to one of the oil cooler bracket bolt holes being “stripped” and causing a significant oil leak. I’m going to buy an new OEM oil pan from Rock Auto (GM GENUINE 12640746) my question is what am I in for? Does anyone have any tips or a YouTube video to review?

Thanks, in advance
While it takes a little more work, some of the guys on here have pulled the front differential and crossmember to make more rooom.

Why don't you just use a heli-coil instead of replacing the pan? It'll be stronger than new once repaired.

OP
OP
opfor2

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While it takes a little more work, some of the guys on here have pulled the front differential and crossmember to make more rooom.

Why don't you just use a heli-coil instead of replacing the pan? It'll be stronger than new once repaired.
I would like to but I still am going to have to drop the front Dif to get proper access to the bolt holes didn't I??

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to but I still am going to have to drop the front Dif to get proper access to the bolt holes didn't I??
I would think that removing the driveshaft would provide enough clearance to do the work but I can't seem to picture it in my head anymore. On the other hand, at this age, it might just be wise to replace the pan and gasket.

Don did an excellent write up some time back and maybe you can glean some nuggets from these posts:

OP
OP
opfor2

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I guess my main issue is that I have never used a Helicoil and I'm just very apprehensive that I'm going to mess it up.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess my main issue is that I have never used a Helicoil and I'm just very apprehensive that I'm going to mess it up.
Worst case you mess it up and have to replace the pan, which you're about to do anyway.

I stripped out one of those same bolts on my 2012 and was able to get a helicoil in there. I used a flexible shaft for my drill and a 1/4" shank drill bit to fit in the chuck of the flexible shaft. The threads for those bolts are M6-1. Didn't have to drop the diff, steering rack, exhaust or anything else and it worked great, even if a bit of a PITA with limited room to work. It was only my second time using a helicoil and the previous time was 20 years before that so I wouldn't call myself an expert with them. But it only took me 20 minutes or so and was way easier than dropping the whole oil pan.

OP
OP
opfor2

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worst case you mess it up and have to replace the pan, which you're about to do anyway.

I stripped out one of those same bolts on my 2012 and was able to get a helicoil in there. I used a flexible shaft for my drill and a 1/4" shank drill bit to fit in the chuck of the flexible shaft. The threads for those bolts are M6-1. Didn't have to drop the diff, steering rack, exhaust or anything else and it worked great, even if a bit of a PITA with limited room to work. It was only my second time using a helicoil and the previous time was 20 years before that so I wouldn't call myself an expert with them. But it only took me 20 minutes or so and was way easier than dropping the whole oil pan.
Hmmm, ok thanks for the information...

OP
OP
opfor2

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So this is the correct kit to use?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
opfor2

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics