Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion on a complete gasket jit? Steel headgaskets, vc, intake gaskets?

GM MLS for the head gaskets. There are other brands that I'd trust, but they tend to be pricier than the GM OEM gaskets.

For everything else, I have this in my cart: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NZYNLS/?coliid=I1MPM5EGWQOW7W&colid=1ESKPEEM806CR&psc=1

Although, for lifters you don't have to remove the valley cover so all you really need are the valve cover, intake manifold and head gaskets. If you wanna be thrifty, you can reuse any of the gaskets other than the head gaskets if they're not very old. If they were replaced when you had the cam installed, then you likely can reuse them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
FYI those aren’t a brand sold by BTR nor are they OEM no matter what those comments say, they’re Michigan Motorsports brand which is a knockoff. Not saying they’re no good but do your research before pulling the trigger.
The reviews were pretty good.
Found some Fel Pro head bolts.Screenshot_20191016-130928_Amazon Shopping.jpg
2 sets.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Never heard any issues from MM brand lifters or their trunion kits. But then again, Elgin was suppose to be a reputable company too. Get new head bolts also. And I hope at the very least your guy checks the heads for flatness. The correct way is to have them surfaced down to a 20Ma finish. The MLS head gaskets require a flat clean surface to seal. When I did that AFM engine I skimped and came out alright but it wasn’t my vehicle. I just ran a true bar over the heads and deck with some 400 grit sand paper using WD40 as a lubricant but also copper coated the gaskets. Just as an insurance policy.

Don’t have any pics but this was on the wife’s equinox when I did head gaskets.
Before
a693729bec1773fcb369f67a96c84207.jpg
During
c890106e87bf43f85f66442dd34620a1.jpg
After
221bb20632de9f54fb7c841d0cd66dc0.jpg
Did the engine deck same way. Don’t stay in one direction, back forth, up down and angled both ways keeping as much contact with surface as possible. Very minimal pressure. It identifies and high or low spots. Then checked with feeler gauge to make sure within spec. Not the best way but I didn’t have 2 weeks to wait for heads to get surfaced.

Here’s the LS head gaskets with copper spray on them. Like i said, only did it because I didn’t surface the heads.
75e9d2e65d558ac1ab1acf260344d442.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI those aren’t a brand sold by BTR nor are they OEM no matter what those comments say, they’re Michigan Motorsports brand which is a knockoff. Not saying they’re no good but do your research before pulling the trigger.

I'd always aim for OEM and, like everyone else, would recommend genuine GM LS7 lifters. But, I also would expect that if a big-name builder such as BTR, TSP, etc. sells "their own" house brand, it would be something they trust and use in their in-house installs.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd always aim for OEM and, like everyone else, would recommend genuine GM LS7 lifters. But, I also would expect that if a big-name builder such as BTR, TSP, etc. sells "their own" house brand, it would be something they trust and use in their in-house installs.
Like I said, BTR doesn’t sell that brand. Of the 7 brands of lifters they do sell, they offer only 2 brands of LS7 lifters- Chevrolet Performance and Delphi. And they’re out of stock on both. I don’t know why that one reviewer said his MM lifters came in a BTR box, that’s weird. But you have to be wary of online reviews. I saw there were only 8 reviews on Amazon for those, not enough for me to be comfortable with. If anybody knows of any long term use of these, maybe chime in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ojb226

Latest posts