Tires that don’t suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
On bigger rims though.

See, I'm thinkin' basically unless tires are labeled "LT" they won't be 8 ply equivs.
6ply equiv LT tires are the MINIMUM anyone will run out west on even gravel roads. The ranchers out there usually run 8ply equivalents. I could be wrong but basically 4 ply equivalents are pass. veh tires at a max of about 50psi, 6 ply equiv. LT tires might be max press. 60psi and 8 ply equivalent LT tires will be around 80psi.

BFG A/T tires are usually 6ply equivalent (3 plys that count as 6)

On my 1996 Tahoe, my old Coopers, two sets, forgot the model name both All Terrain tires had a make press. of 80psi.
You could run all day at 85mph and be assured you could also drive on railroad ballast for hours and never get a flat.

I find it confounding that no Light Truck rated tire is spec'd out for these nearly 5k lb SUVs.

Disturbing.
I used to always go by the ply rating and/or load rating but found that the way tire manufacturers rate and build tires seems to have changed. The old alpha load ratings of B C D and E or the P and LT tires seem to have been replaced by a load index number. They seem to be using fewer plies and still reaching the same load rating. Of course this reduces the resistance to punctures that came with the added thickness of the higher rated tires.
Good luck on your search.

R Black

Reaction score
I used to always go by the ply rating and/or load rating but found that the way tire manufacturers rate and build tires seems to have changed. The old alpha load ratings of B C D and E or the P and LT tires seem to have been replaced by a load index number. They seem to be using fewer plies and still reaching the same load rating. Of course this reduces the resistance to punctures that came with the added thickness of the higher rated tires.
Good luck on your search.

Yes, and I was aware after I posted that I hadn't succinctly mentioned any of that, . . . load rating etc..

I was told years ago the they were getting the same load ratings with fewer plies, though I'm not as convinced this has come at the cost of puncture resistance.

So I can only assume one of several things in this debacle; The world changed since I put 80 psi max Coops on the GMT 400 in 2019 ... or the world changed last June when I bought a 2020 Pahoe.

I think I'm going to go to the Cooper website and see what they say. I haven't done that specifically yet.

I'm thinking this has a lot to do with lawyers, the EPA etc. and maybe how the vehicle is constructed than it does with 'LT tires won't work on a 2020 Tahoe'. Unless there something weird that would happen with the sprung weight or yatta yatta ...

I could also try contact some of the premier off-road shops or publishers or tire manufacturers like Dick Cepek.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone has a preference. Everyone’s experience will be different. Go with a reputable tire that you can get a good deal on. Not much to choose from in the factory size 285/45/22 anyways when I was shopping almost anything available was of decent quality.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
A little review her for the Cooper Discover AT3 4S in 285/45-22.
I have driven in the snow with these tires twice now and I am a little undecided as to how I like them. They are worlds better than the Bridgestone Alenza tires I had but seen to lack the ability to keep the back end from kicking sideways. Front steering and stopping are acceptable as I have tried several times to see how it stops. So far I would say I am happy with how it steers and stops except for the rear kicking out when I accelerate in a corner. Today we are getting sleet so its like driving on ice.

I wish I could try a set of Michelin LTX M/S tires to compare. Can’t help but wonder if they would be better.

John Day

Reaction score
Hey all,

the stock tires on my 2016 Denali are done. I have the 22 inch wheels so it’s been a rough ride since day one. Any suggestions or recommendations for tires that could produce a better ride? I know I’m limited due to the rim size but just want something better than stock.

thanks

John Day

Reaction score
Hey all,

the stock tires on my 2016 Denali are done. I have the 22 inch wheels so it’s been a rough ride since day one. Any suggestions or recommendations for tires that could produce a better ride? I know I’m limited due to the rim size but just want something better than stock.

thanks
Softer ride =18” rims/tires

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got the Pirelli’s put on last week. Such a smooth ride. No complaints. Let’s see how long they last.

db67362b61da5a5c408d689f84b4a86a.jpg
43fedf10b579536b4f609bc6fb019c89.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401