Tires that don’t suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

the stock tires on my 2016 Denali are done. I have the 22 inch wheels so it’s been a rough ride since day one. Any suggestions or recommendations for tires that could produce a better ride? I know I’m limited due to the rim size but just want something better than stock.

thanks

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is likely not what you're after but, in general, that's the price you pay for 'style'. These current large diameter wheels [your 22s] make trucks ride rougher than older, smaller sizes [my 16s].

Tire sidewalls act as shocks, and I have more sidewall than you do.

Any differences in tire construction would sit on that wheel size foundation.

joe

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on what surfaces you mostly drive on and your budget. If most of your driving is on paved surfaces, I highly recommend Michelin Defenders, as stated above. They are pricey, but you will get very long mileage with them, they ride quietly and hold the road surface well, and they work well in the NH winters.

I run 305/50x20 Michelin Defender tires on my 07 Yukon XL Denali with no rubbing.

Regarding wheel/tire combinations that will fit your truck without rubbing, no 2 trucks and their suspensions are exactly alike, due to a number of factors including accumulated wear on the suspension components, so there is no guarantee that what fits with no rubbing on one truck will automatically fit with no rubbing on your truck. Other folks' experiences can guide you in one direction or another, but the final test will be when you mount the wheel/tire combination on your own truck.

To assist you in getting a good idea on whether or not specific alternate wheel/tire combinations 'may' fit your truck with no rubbing, I recommend that you use the wheel/tire comparison app at the URL listed below. You can use this app starting with your existing wheel/tire combination as a benchmark, assuming that there are currently no rubbing issues with it, and measure the actual critical fender and suspension component clearances as directed by this app. Then, you can enter alternate wheel/tire combinations, and this app will give you the projected changes in these critical fender and suspension component clearances.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I used this app for determining whether on not I could use my current alternate wheel/tire combination, and it accurately projected the changes in critical clearances. Again, the use of this app in not an absolute guarantee that an alternate wheel/tire combination will fit without rubbing, but it provides a much better assessment, or projection, than simply an educated guess on your part, or a statement from others that it worked on a truck other than yours.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

the stock tires on my 2016 Denali are done. I have the 22 inch wheels so it’s been a rough ride since day one. Any suggestions or recommendations for tires that could produce a better ride? I know I’m limited due to the rim size but just want something better than stock.

thanks

Defenders, go to 20s for an even better ride, or 18s!

OP
OP
Illnasty

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is likely not what you're after but, in general, that's the price you pay for 'style'. These current large diameter wheels [your 22s] make trucks ride rougher than older, smaller sizes [my 16s].

Tire sidewalls act as shocks, and I have more sidewall than you do.

Any differences in tire construction would sit on that wheel size foundation.

joe

yep, totally agree. I have a 2002 Denali and the 17 inch wheels with Michelin Latitudes is a fantastic ride. Problem with the new truck in my opinion is that anything less than 22 inch doesn’t look great but offers a way better ride. I’m not going to sacrifice the look.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vote for the Michelin Defenders. Great ride!! I have the 20 inch but does not look like your going for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99

Latest posts