Thump Front Drivers side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f16z28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I've been trying to diagnose this thump I've had since I bought my 2007 Yukon XL 6 months ago. From a dead stop or very slow roll, when I accelerate there is a thump that you can hear and feel from what feels like under the front left area of the vehicle. I thought it was a bad ball joint at first but after looking it over and prying on them they wont budge. When I google the problem all the talk is about sounds from the rear. This is for sure from the front. It feels as thought it's lifting weight off the front when I accelerate and when I let off the gas it drops back down with another thump. This does not happen at slow speeds or higher. Only dead stops and crawling under 5 mph. No uneven wear on the tires either. My thoughts are engine/ tranny mount, upper or lower ball joint, body mount, idler arm or other and forward drive shaft. Please help, it's driving me nuts!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sway bar links or frame bushings. How did you check the motor mount. You only stated how you checked the ball joints. Check the driveshaft?

slocaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the motor mount, I got lucky, mine had just been replaced, but apperantly someone forgot to tighten bolts down. Exact same discription as you

OP
OP
F

f16z28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update- So I got back under it and pryed on everything. I got the drivers side lower ball joint to move some. So I got a new one and will be installing it this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out

Reester

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check the body mount on the front drivers side of your vehicle. These actually go out more frequently than expected and have the same symptoms you've described in your OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about a single thump from the rear from a dead stop with a good amount of pedal?

OP
OP
F

f16z28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update. Just replaced the lower ball joint. Problem is still there. Gonna so the upper next. But the bottom had definite m movement in it so it wasn't a total loss

Scraps66

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just "fixed" a similar clunk. It was the driver side sway bar link, broken. I had looked a couple times, but because the bushing between the bar and the lower control arm was still in place, it looked as if it wasn't broken. But then I notice the head of the bolt was broken off the bottom. I replaced with a cheap pair of MOOGs from AZ cuzz they had them. But if I did it over, and I may, I'd order a beefier set from RockAuto.

Reester

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had the same problem as you for a while now, I had a friend who is a GM technician of 25+ years take a look at it and he said without a doubt it is the body mount. I've already replaced my upper and control arms, sway bar links, and lower ball joints hoping it would have been an easy fix :nope:

One of these days when I have the extra time and cash (they cost ~$60 a pop) I'll change them out and report back.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grebbler

Parts is parts...
Reaction score
Check the torsion bar support member that runs under the seats. It floats on rubber mounts at the frame rails and will clunk at slow speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan