Think I need front diff work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apach 031

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey folks. I've been investigating a newish clunk coming from the front end. 08 Denali 6 2 AWD. It's not the engine or diff mounts, already replaced those last year getting rid of the last clunk. It makes a big clunk when going into gear, or when I decelerate and then jump back on the accelerator, but it's worst when shifting down for passing. Feels exactly like a bad motor mount (and yes, I checked to make sure the new one isn't broken ). Dug out the GoPro and laid it under the front diff, while I shifted back and forth from drive to reverse. I'm getting between an eighth and a quarter of a turn rotation on the pinion as it engages. This seems pretty excessive to me. What do you all think.

I should mention, when I replaced the diff mounts last year, I tried to do a diff service, but the plugs are seized in hard. I even hit em with a torch. Which probably didn't help the fluid inside. Finally gave up. Oops.

I tried to attach the video file, but it's too large.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. I've been investigating a newish clunk coming from the front end. 08 Denali 6 2 AWD. It's not the engine or diff mounts, already replaced those last year getting rid of the last clunk. It makes a big clunk when going into gear, or when I decelerate and then jump back on the accelerator, but it's worst when shifting down for passing. Feels exactly like a bad motor mount (and yes, I checked to make sure the new one isn't broken ). Dug out the GoPro and laid it under the front diff, while I shifted back and forth from drive to reverse. I'm getting between an eighth and a quarter of a turn rotation on the pinion as it engages. This seems pretty excessive to me. What do you all think.

I should mention, when I replaced the diff mounts last year, I tried to do a diff service, but the plugs are seized in hard. I even hit em with a torch. Which probably didn't help the fluid inside. Finally gave up. Oops.

I tried to attach the video file, but it's too large.
That's way too much play. I would wager that something inside there is busted. Nice job on the sleuthing work and telling us what you've already done.

BTW - for the front diff fluid, having a good local shop do it it money well spent. They have usually done so many that they have their technique down to a science, and they always seem to stock replacement plugs for when they booger one up.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my front differential, but it wasn't making a clunk. I heard a metallic whirring sound from it, whenever I put my foot to the gas, even slightly. When the shop took it out and opened it up, there were metallic shards all over the place.

I also had the situation where my shop could not loosen the fill plug.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at your diff moving up and down man, either the diff mount bushings are shot or that thing isn't bolted in all the way. Don't know if that's the cause of your problem but that don't look right to me.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of play for sure. I know rear axles will have a small amount of driveline slack to take up, but that does seem excessive. Makes me wonder about my 2008 now because I have a similar noise that you described......usually when passing and a downshift, or off and back on the gas semi-aggressively.

I was under the impression that maybe there was slack in the transfer case chain that was causing it, but maybe I need to crawl under with a video as well :/

OP
OP
Apach 031

Apach 031

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Look at your diff moving up and down man, either the diff mount bushings are shot or that thing isn't bolted in all the way. Don't know if that's the cause of your problem but that don't look right to me.
Hey, you're right! It's actually back and forth, because the camera is lying on the ground looking up. But ya, the whole diff seems to be sliding back and forth, especially in the right side. I was so busy looking at the excess rotation, I missed the diff movement. And those mounts don't have more than about 5000 miles on them. Guess I have some homework to do on the weekend. Excellent catch Dustin!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was easier than I thought. Here it is:
Hey Pete did you check out that FRAM oil filter? LOL @PG01

Not making fun of you @Apach 031, Pete and I used FRAM filters for years without issue but "they" say your engine will self destruct using them.

To my way of thinking, your front differential and engine are moving around way too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts