There are just some days I wish I didn't turn wrenches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Maybe a paycheck again at 71 years old:

Well, surprise surprise, does not look like I am going to go work at the shop that my friend is half owner in. It looks like they may be expanding to a bigger shop and they will want a full time line tech and I don't want that. Initially that situation was for some tech work and some advisor work, I wanted just part time. All good and no hard feelings.

BUT, today I got a notice from Indeed, from a shop owner that I had interviewed at for a full time service advisor job about 5 months ago. We had a good interview and he knew all the shops I had managed before and was aware of me in the local industry. His ad back then had stated that the pay scale was $40k to $55k a year. He asked how much I would work for and I told him that the $55k was it. He balked and I reminded him of my many years of experience and if I did not measure up after 60 days, let me go. He said he would think about it. Needless to say, after all this time and seeing the ad at Indeed go away and then come back I assumed he hired someone and they did not work out. He reached out thru Indeed and asked to see me again. I looked up his ad at Indeed and the pay scale is now $50k to $60k. I am supposed to call him some time this morning and he wants to talk to me again. I am going to stick to my $55k pay scale and see what he says. I would not be by myself. He is the owner and writes service too and has an office manager lady that helps with the flow and paperwork. I did not know before but he has added some more lifts and now has 18 bays. He even has lifts for larger commercial trucks and motorhomes. If I was going to be doing any tech work at the other shop, I wanted only part time but as a full fledged service advisor, I can do the full time.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Went and spent two hours at the shop. The hours total each day is 11 to 11 1/2 easy. First in and last out. Has a mouthy tech that acts like a prima donna. The neighborhood is cluttered with homeless that sometimes roam the vehicle lot. I told him I am gonna pass.

Recent downtown park closure has moved a bunch of homeless to other areas and it is very cluttered now.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As I have warned here, I am trying to spiffy up my girl's 1990 K2500 and today I took off the old side moldings. The ones that had the silver stripe at the top of the molding strip. It also had the 2500 on it just below the mirrors. The new all black moldings don't have the hole cut in them to allow for the clips to install new 2500 emblems with the 2 tabs on the back that would push in to the clips and hold in place. Gonna get two of the flat back stick on 2500 emblems and attach in the small indented area above the side molding. here are the pics of the driver's side with the old moldings gone and the old adhesive ground off with a 3M wheel in the drill. Still have to wash and rub down and clean thoroughly and install the new black moldings.

20240330_131943.jpg20240330_131950.jpg20240330_131954.jpg20240330_132003.jpg20240330_132006.jpg

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Where’d you get the molding? I actually painted my chrome, on the top of molding, black to look like that but now that’s it’s chipping I might as well just replace it.
LMC Truck, out of Lenexa KS. $130 plus shipping. Get a 3M adhesive removal wheel and mount in a drill and it works real good. There is also a can of 3M spray adhesive remover for cleaning up after and then use some 91% alcohol to do a final cleaning and use the old lines to center up the new molding and the surface needs to be 70 degrees or more. Great directions come with the molding. You can get all black or with the top chrome strip. See my next post here to see what I did with the old Bowtie 2500 emblems and then remounted them. The new molding does not have the pre cut holes for the emblem mounting tabs so I double sided taped to the door. Pics are supplied. I can tell you how it was prepped.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, my friend cut the mounting tabs off the back of the original 2500 emblems and cut the small locating tabs off the ends. The bow tie had already fallen out of the impression it sat in and boogered up the tin foil chrome look behind it. I remounted that one on the passenger side. Used the same 3M molding double sided tape and attached in the indent on each door. Hope they meet with everyone's approval.

20240402_173448.jpg20240402_173503.jpg20240402_173906.jpg

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Gonna try CERAKOTE for the front and rear bumper impact strips and the front license plate bracket.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just to let you know why I am using the OE emblems for now. To buy pairs of the stick on, they have to be shipped from China and I refuse to send my money over there and they are just under $50. To get the stateside ones, I cannot find pairs, can only find singles and they are anywhere between $55 to $70 each plus shipping. Discontinued thru GM sources and no NOS anywhere. I am gonna search high and low for some replacements. Time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork