Tech2 and SPS2 programing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you get a calibrations from GM, is it saved to your computer so you can flash again?
NO, eveything is done in a java environment (shell) it saves nothing
once it is finished everything vanishes, if you screw up along the way or if there is some glitch you have to start over from scratch

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad these aftermarket programmers like HPTuners or Autosync don't extend programming to other modules.
If they had a calibration repository like they do for ECM tunes.. Because the GM way seems like a PITA..

95TA - The Beast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, just registered here because this thread had some decent and up-to-date information and figured I would share my recent experience with all of this...

I have been around tuning since the mid-90s, primarily SBC Gen-II LT1/LT4 stuff. Did my fair share of tuning LSx systems, enough to own a HPTuners with unlimited LSx credits along with OSes and enhancements. I have also tuned DFI, FASST, Motec, Haltec and everything else out there just about, including custom systems for auto-tuning...

We own a 2014 Cadillac CTS and a 2015 Cadillac ATS and I have HPTuners for both. I also know that tuning for these modern Gen5 engines is FAR from the old-school stuff, so much so we even bought Elite tunes for both Cadillacs from Trifecta Performance.

Well, the ATS is getting a "ground up" complete rebuild with new everything, including forged engine, transmission, transfer case, rear diff, front diff, axles, suspension, etc, etc. Because of this I needed a package that can reprogram the Transmission Control Module as well as the Transfer Case Control Module for the new parts.

Basically, I needed a solution to do not only SPS2 programming, but also be able to do configurations via GDS2.

There is no way I could spend $1100-1800 on a MDI2 setup or any of the other "authorized" setups and settled on a second-hand Mongoose-Plus GM3 cable. Needless to say it is HARD to find one of these used, but I got lucky. Then it seemed like it wouldn't get here, so I started looking into other options and I REFUSED to waste my time on the MDI2 clones or even the VCX Nano BS that is out there...

But I did come across a setup called OBDx Pro GT. It is billed as a J2534 compatible setup that supports the GM-specific protocols to use SPS2 and GDS2. Considering it was about 1/4 the price of a Mongoose-Plus GM3 I ordered it up. Took forever for them to ship, but finally got a tracking number.

Wouldn't you know it the Mongoose-Plus GM3 comes in the next day after I finally get tracking info for the OBDx Pro GT. I installed it, downloaded Techline Connect, spent over an hour allowing the installation to "settle in" and update itself properly. It is just amazing that something so convoluted and complicated can even operate properly, but after 5 different start attempts, updates, configurations and everything else it finally allowed me to launch it from the web portal and came up and allowed me to talk to the vehicle.

I must say the Mongoose-Plus GM3 just flat out "works". I would expect it to be damn near identical to the MDI2 in that it is quick, responsive and everything works as expected. Using SPS2 or GDS2 everything just does what it is supposed to. The only issue I ran into was trying to use SPS2 to deal with the Transfer Case Control Module for reprogramming, but it would seem that GM has issues with SPS2 being able to talk to that module on MANY vehicles under SPS2, so I am not alone. GDS2 had no issues talking to it and configuring it for the different clutch electrical characteristics, which is all I really need, so I am all good for what I need the setup for.

A few days later I got in the OBDx Pro GT and decided to try it out as well. Installed all the software, configured it, and low-and-behold it works just fine in SPS2 and GDS2 as well. Not as quick and snappy as the Mongoose-Plus GM3, but per the OBDx people it is probably because the SPS2 and GDS2 software trying using OBD2 protocols that thier device doesn't support so it needs to "time out" and then move on to the protocols that are supported. Makes sense and I did not notice any lack of functionality outside of communications taking "just a little longer" than with the Mongoose.

Hopefully this information helps out others, since I knew the Mongoose-Plus GM3 was "approved" by GM for use with their software, but it is good to know that a much cheaper solution in the OBDx Pro GT ends up working just as well.

I just did not want to be at the mercy of the VxConfig manager BS "allowing" the VCX Nano to be used whenever it felt like. I like owning my hardware and knowing it will work whenever I want it to without "trusting" a company that has been quite deceptive in how thier product works and why you need to "license" it every 60 days or so... No thanks.

I will add that I am seriously impressed with how many operations are supported under GDS2 for maintaining and diagnosing modern vehicle systems. I can't see owning most any of the more complicated modern vehicles without this level of ability.

Last edited:

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for dropping in and sharing that with us! Awesome to have another option, especially one that sounds reliable and is cheap!

Onenicedenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, just registered here because this thread had some decent and up-to-date information and figured I would share my recent experience with all of this...

I have been around tuning since the mid-90s, primarily SBC Gen-II LT1/LT4 stuff. Did my fair share of tuning LSx systems, enough to own a HPTuners with unlimited LSx credits along with OSes and enhancements. I have also tuned DFI, FASST, Motec, Haltec and everything else out there just about, including custom systems for auto-tuning...

We own a 2014 Cadillac CTS and a 2015 Cadillac ATS and I have HPTuners for both. I also know that tuning for these modern Gen5 engines is FAR from the old-school stuff, so much so we even bought Elite tunes for both Cadillacs from Trifecta Performance.

Well, the ATS is getting a "ground up" complete rebuild with new everything, including forged engine, transmission, transfer case, rear diff, front diff, axles, suspension, etc, etc. Because of this I needed a package that can reprogram the Transmission Control Module as well as the Transfer Case Control Module for the new parts.

Basically, I needed a solution to do not only SPS2 programming, but also be able to do configurations via GDS2.

There is no way I could spend $1100-1800 on a MDI2 setup or any of the other "authorized" setups and settled on a second-hand Mongoose-Plus GM3 cable. Needless to say it is HARD to find one of these used, but I got lucky. Then it seemed like it wouldn't get here, so I started looking into other options and I REFUSED to waste my time on the MDI2 clones or even the VCX Nano BS that is out there...

But I did come across a setup called OBDx Pro GT. It is billed as a J2534 compatible setup that supports the GM-specific protocols to use SPS2 and GDS2. Considering it was about 1/4 the price of a Mongoose-Plus GM3 I ordered it up. Took forever for them to ship, but finally got a tracking number.

Wouldn't you know it the Mongoose-Plus GM3 comes in the next day after I finally get tracking info for the OBDx Pro GT. I installed it, downloaded Techline Connect, spent over an hour allowing the installation to "settle in" and update itself properly. It is just amazing that something so convoluted and complicated can even operate properly, but after 5 different start attempts, updates, configurations and everything else it finally allowed me to launch it from the web portal and came up and allowed me to talk to the vehicle.

I must say the Mongoose-Plus GM3 just flat out "works". I would expect it to be damn near identical to the MDI2 in that it is quick, responsive and everything works as expected. Using SPS2 or GDS2 everything just does what it is supposed to. The only issue I ran into was trying to use SPS2 to deal with the Transfer Case Control Module for reprogramming, but it would seem that GM has issues with SPS2 being able to talk to that module on MANY vehicles under SPS2, so I am not alone. GDS2 had no issues talking to it and configuring it for the different clutch electrical characteristics, which is all I really need, so I am all good for what I need the setup for.

A few days later I got in the OBDx Pro GT and decided to try it out as well. Installed all the software, configured it, and low-and-behold it works just fine in SPS2 and GDS2 as well. Not as quick and snappy as the Mongoose-Plus GM3, but per the OBDx people it is probably because the SPS2 and GDS2 software trying using OBD2 protocols that thier device doesn't support so it needs to "time out" and then move on to the protocols that are supported. Makes sense and I did not notice any lack of functionality outside of communications taking "just a little longer" than with the Mongoose.

Hopefully this information helps out others, since I knew the Mongoose-Plus GM3 was "approved" by GM for use with their software, but it is good to know that a much cheaper solution in the OBDx Pro GT ends up working just as well.

I just did not want to be at the mercy of the VxConfig manager BS "allowing" the VCX Nano to be used whenever it felt like. I like owning my hardware and knowing it will work whenever I want it to without "trusting" a company that has been quite deceptive in how thier product works and why you need to "license" it every 60 days or so... No thanks.

I will add that I am seriously impressed with how many operations are supported under GDS2 for maintaining and diagnosing modern vehicle systems. I can't see owning most any of the more complicated modern vehicles without this level of ability.
That is the kind of info I been wanting to hear. Have you tried to communicate with the BCM?

95TA - The Beast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is the kind of info I been wanting to hear. Have you tried to communicate with the BCM?
Yes, I did the whole configuration thing and it actually saved the configuration with a confirmation.

I found out that GDS2 will do a configuration write on certain modules by just going into change values and then backing out. Ends up giving you confirmation and all that.

To a lesser degree SPS2 does the same thing. I went in to do a replace and reprogram and once you are too far into the process, backing out writes the configuration and gives you a Warranty Code to confirm it. I wish I would have known that since it will probably require me to do the various shifting learns on the old transmission now. I was hoping to have the old unit untouched for simple "plug and play" if I have an issue with the new transmission. Oh well, with access to SPS2 and GDS2 whenever I want, I am not worried.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just so I get what you're saying... the mongoose one is 500$ and is officially authorized to access the acdelco site to program modules? that doesn't seem like a bad price everything but a laptop is included.

the OBDx Pro GT is 140$ and basically does the same thing but isn't quite as "official"?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huh.. if anyone is interested, there's the reverse engineering of the obdx thread from the developer on pcm hacking. long but interesting if you're into this sort of thing. I always wished I could reverse engineer this stuff. but I only understand it enough to loosely follow along.

seems it's all legit, unless there's a hacked version of tech 2 win that works with it, I guess you'd have to pay to download that from gm for Diagnostics? but I feel like the hand held clone tech 2 is good enough for that. I'd only be using it to flash stuff when needed on the cheapest subscription on acdelco.

soon as a USB B one comes up, I'll probably order one up to play with.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a variety of devices will work, the issue is always going to be software/drivers, when gm updates your device needs to be updated as well
GD.jpg

95TA - The Beast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just so I get what you're saying... the mongoose one is 500$ and is officially authorized to access the acdelco site to program modules? that doesn't seem like a bad price everything but a laptop is included.

the OBDx Pro GT is 140$ and basically does the same thing but isn't quite as "official"?

Yeah the Mongoose-Plus GM3 is "supported" by GM as a "proper interface". They still list it in yellow on the devices list inside their software, which means it is not a "GM sold" interface, but it is bought by dealerships and techs world-wide as a GM-supported interface, so that means it supports all modes and protocols that the MDI2 does.

The OBDx Pro GT is billed as a J2534-compatible pass-through interface that supports GMLAN and the other GM-specific protocols on a basic level. There are a few protocols the Mongoose-Plus GM3 has that the OBDx Pro GT does not, so there is always a possibility that a newer vehicle or software update that includes a different method of communicating that will come out that will not be supported by the OBDx Pro GT. But for everything else that is currently on the market as of "today" it should work 100%.

Now, the only thing that concerns me about the OBDx Pro GT is if GM were to make certain protocols "required" and removed the "fallback" to modes that the OBDx Pro GT supports. They could do that at any time considering SPS2 is online only and in that case the Mongoose-Plus GM3 would be the "bare minimum" to support even existing vehicles if that were to happen. It is a concern, nothing more, but still valid, but probably unlikely as GM hasn't done that in the past and usually supports "fallback" to other protocols to keep the technicians that have an investment in tools to deal with GM products happy and in business. The GDS2 is less of a concern since you can install it in offline mode configured for whatever you are working on and keep it persistent long-term if you are savvy. It would also stand that a diagnostic tool would be much more flexible than a "factory module programming" suite would be in regards to the interfaces it would work with.

The one big positive of both the Mongoose-Plus GM3 and the OBDx Pro GT is that the companies behind them are aggressive and actively in development on the platforms to make sure both do what is needed and support what is needed by their user base. For the OBDx Pro GT it just means that they will be working to make sure it works as flawlessly as possible as I am sure it is a foundational product offering that will allow the company to grow and be successful, so there will be no lack of support and development on it for the next few years at the very least. They "teased" a OBDx Pro ONE product with no info I can find, which I would venture a "guess" would be an all-in-one interface that will support GM as well as Ford and other manufacturer OBD-II specific interfacing in a single unit. Somewhat akin to the "Supergoose-Plus" product offered by OPUS. The OPUS Cardaq 3 series (which is also sold as the Snap-On Pass-Thru Pro 4) is a little more advanced and different (pretty much "future proof" with a very advanced programmable hardware platform so it can be upgraded as needed), so they are not exactly the same as the OBD-II fixed-feature interfaces like the Supergoose-Plus or hopefully what the OBDx Pro ONE will be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA