Tech2 and SPS2 programing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so update... the OBDx GT for 140$ works great.. it even has a scanner app you can use without any of the gm tech 2 win stuff. bit basic for now, but nice graphing. go to their site, down load the drivers, the firmware updater, scanner they call Explorer apps. and then the 2 plug ins. the j2356 or whatever sps needs and the the tech2win of you want that to work. I mainly downloaded the scanner to make sure the drivers worked and it found the dongle. it did, and firmware was up to date.

the gm software is horrendous. after jumping thru the hoops on the acdelco site, I got the 1 year 1 vin access. downloaded tech line sps program, let it all install and update. promptly failed to log into it, cause it's really badly built and not stable at all.

found this guy's youtube video of the specific order you gotta go thru to open the app and it auto log you in. God forbid you just type your name and password into the log in from the desk top short cut lol.

so you have to open the program from within the acdelco website after you've logged in, that's installed on your computer. never seen that before. but eh, after a few times it works. I could never get it to load if you check the load as administrator box for some reason.

but once you get it open, it detects OBDx GT just fine, search for modules, try to update modules that have newer software availability. have Java lock up once or twice and then finally successfully programed my hybrid battery control module #2 in my 2014 volt. I do have a hvac one to do that I saw 3 updates for, but that's for another day haha.

i haven't done the yukon yet, but I figured it will do the 2014 it will do the older stuff.

OBDx guys seem great, very responsive to emails and look into issues. they seem willing to add stuff that's needed it it even if it's more meant as a open source to turn the p59 ecm's with pcm hammer or ls Droid. Just a nice side effect that it works to program modules.

I'm still kinda amazing how bad the gm program runs. it requires windows 10 too. nothing lower. I thought my Ford oem software was bad, it's down right good compared to this haha.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so update... the OBDx GT for 140$ works great.. it even has a scanner app you can use without any of the gm tech 2 win stuff. bit basic for now, but nice graphing. go to their site, down load the drivers, the firmware updater, scanner they call Explorer apps. and then the 2 plug ins. the j2356 or whatever sps needs and the the tech2win of you want that to work. I mainly downloaded the scanner to make sure the drivers worked and it found the dongle. it did, and firmware was up to date.

the gm software is horrendous. after jumping thru the hoops on the acdelco site, I got the 1 year 1 vin access. downloaded tech line sps program, let it all install and update. promptly failed to log into it, cause it's really badly built and not stable at all.

found this guy's youtube video of the specific order you gotta go thru to open the app and it auto log you in. God forbid you just type your name and password into the log in from the desk top short cut lol.

so you have to open the program from within the acdelco website after you've logged in, that's installed on your computer. never seen that before. but eh, after a few times it works. I could never get it to load if you check the load as administrator box for some reason.

but once you get it open, it detects OBDx GT just fine, search for modules, try to update modules that have newer software availability. have Java lock up once or twice and then finally successfully programed my hybrid battery control module #2 in my 2014 volt. I do have a hvac one to do that I saw 3 updates for, but that's for another day haha.

i haven't done the yukon yet, but I figured it will do the 2014 it will do the older stuff.

OBDx guys seem great, very responsive to emails and look into issues. they seem willing to add stuff that's needed it it even if it's more meant as a open source to turn the p59 ecm's with pcm hammer or ls Droid. Just a nice side effect that it works to program modules.

I'm still kinda amazing how bad the gm program runs. it requires windows 10 too. nothing lower. I thought my Ford oem software was bad, it's down right good compared to this haha.
all of the java software modules have to be installed before it will run, which is probably why you had to do it 3 times. It all runs as a virtual machine so a good processor, video card, fast hard drive and lots of ram make a difference.
basically you are running 2 operating systems at the same time and the 2nd one is running staight off of cache memory that it creates.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is having all the modules run just a time thing? like load it up and wait awhile?

I honestly don't know what this laptop has for power. my tuning laptop is a old windows 7 thing, and I am scared to update hptuners since they keep removing function as the epa cracks down on them. so the newer updates the worst that gets haha. I let it hpt update a few years back and lost a few definitions I really needed for a e38 ecm. Googled around like wtf. had to use a restore point to get it back so from then on hpt isn't getting touched and I'm worried updating the os would force me to.

so I just used one laying around at work that isn't locked down and corporate walled in. Lucky it had windows 10 on it.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will this OBDx GT allow stuff like key fob programing?

it only does whatever the gm software does.. stuff like that would probably be handled by the diagnostic side? so I'm guessing tech2win? which they say it will do but since this isn't a cracked software like the China tech2's, you'd have to pay gm for the subscription.

so in general, I'd say it's probably better for stuff like that to buy a tech 2? or some other scanner?

on a side note, I see this question a lot. is it really hard to program key fobs for these trucks?

Reaction score
it only does whatever the gm software does.. stuff like that would probably be handled by the diagnostic side? so I'm guessing tech2win? which they say it will do but since this isn't a cracked software like the China tech2's, you'd have to pay gm for the subscription.

so in general, I'd say it's probably better for stuff like that to buy a tech 2? or some other scanner?

on a side note, I see this question a lot. is it really hard to program key fobs for these trucks?
I believe key fob programming is available through the DIC on years up to like 2010, but GM removed it on the 2011+

I have a Tech2, and an AutoSync which will allow key fob programming through the DIC on my 2012, but I'm looking for a diagnostics/update tool that will allow me to do things like that for our 2015 Acadia, which is GDS2

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this having just done one bit of it. but it does list gds2 but I'm pretty pretty sure that's tech2win subscription is like 65$ for 2 or 3 days. not sure if that's as many cars as you can do in that time or not.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe key fob programming is available through the DIC on years up to like 2010, but GM removed it on the 2011+

I have a Tech2, and an AutoSync which will allow key fob programming through the DIC on my 2012, but I'm looking for a diagnostics/update tool that will allow me to do things like that for our 2015 Acadia, which is GDS2

I was curious, so I looked it up in my software. this is for a 2015 with a 3.6. not sure which you have but might be all the same. looks to me like you can add a key or program all new keys without a scanner using the 30min method, using the 10min it does say use techline terminal and sps. which is what I used to flash the modules, so this dongle would probably do it. but I'd try the longer free way first.

a subscription to software, like a DIY all-data would be money better spent.

Attachments

• key add.jpg
    key add.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 0
  • key learn 2.jpg
    key learn 2.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 0
  • key learn.jpg
    key learn.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Remote key fobs.

Don't need instructions on how to program new chipped keys, but thanks though.

Basically I have everything to do anything that would ever need to be done with either of my Yukons but they're not compatible with the Acadia and I'm looking for a tool that will give me the same type of diagnostic/programming capability without spending $500+

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you have something I'm not used to seeing. my 08 and 14 gm with keyless entry have a fob with a hidden key. so programming the key, is programing the fob. I just checked and my 14 car can program the fob/key using the drivers door keyhole method.

do you have a separate key with a chip and a fob. both needing pergammed? my software doesn't really explain that well, but if so...maybe it's part of the mobilizer module? either way, I don't know with the way scanners are these days, they show different stuff for different vehicles they are plugged into. so unless you find someone with first hand experience, it would be hard to say what would work.

this would, since it does connect to both of the official gm softwares. but you'll have to pay the subscription price to use it. maybe that cracked nanox would be better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019