Tech2 and SPS2 programing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, the only thing that concerns me about the OBDx Pro GT is if GM were to make certain protocols "required" and removed the "fallback" to modes that the OBDx Pro GT supports. They could do that at any time considering SPS2 is online only and in that case the Mongoose-Plus GM3 would be the "bare minimum" to support even existing vehicles if that were to happen.
I'm wondering if they can decide to end techline support alltogether! Say any vehicle without OTA updates is obsolete?
I heard there was a law that manufacturer's had to have replacement parts available for at least 10 years after manufacture..

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very interesting stuff.. I was going to say yeah the developer seems active still. so it will probably get support as long as people are purchasing it. it also seems to work with some of the open source tuning software. so that alone should keep them going. I have hp tuners, but I would always perfer to support the open source side if possible. so if I was going to use a older ls1 ecm on a swap or something I'd definitely look into that over hp and it's annoying we only define what we think you want business model and offer basically zero support besides a few big shop tuners.

I don't consider 140$ to be to much to ask for a blue tooth dongle with elm327 support and the upsides of possibility flashing a module if I happen to need it.

95TA - The Beast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
very interesting stuff.. I was going to say yeah the developer seems active still. so it will probably get support as long as people are purchasing it. it also seems to work with some of the open source tuning software. so that alone should keep them going. I have hp tuners, but I would always perfer to support the open source side if possible. so if I was going to use a older ls1 ecm on a swap or something I'd definitely look into that over hp and it's annoying we only define what we think you want business model and offer basically zero support besides a few big shop tuners.

I don't consider 140$ to be to much to ask for a blue tooth dongle with elm327 support and the upsides of possibility flashing a module if I happen to need it.
I agree on the OBDx Pro GT. That is why I didn't feel too bad about taking a "knee-jerk" reaction to buying it when I was worried that the Mongoose wasn't going to be delivered.

The big issue with HPTuners is that I know they have certain things supported, but they seem to miss stuff people might need because they are always chasing the "next model to support"... They have always needed a "constant support" developer to expand support for existing models and then another team working on the "next big thing".

I mean I know for fact there is tons of stuff not mapped out in the Gen5 ECMs that they could do. Hell, they could even support a lot of the configuration stuff GDS2 does for other modules, like BCMs or TCCMs since it basically has the capabilities, they just need to map the configurations.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if they can decide to end techline support alltogether! Say any vehicle without OTA updates is obsolete?
I heard there was a law that manufacturer's had to have replacement parts available for at least 10 years after manufacture..
doing that would end the ability to repair a vehicle in certain conditions and take away a revenue stream for all party's involved.
I am sure they still make good money on subscriptions plus the older stuff is already fully developed, pure cash cow.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after they answered a few questions, I went ahead and ordered a OBDxpro GT to try.

if it works to flash modual for 140$, seems handy. it also works with tech2win but they didn't want to get into if it works with the cracked version that comes with the China tech 2's. it will work with the pay version you download form the acdelco site.

I'm curious if it works with what came with my clone tech 2.

95TA - The Beast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
after they answered a few questions, I went ahead and ordered a OBDxpro GT to try.

if it works to flash modual for 140$, seems handy. it also works with tech2win but they didn't want to get into if it works with the cracked version that comes with the China tech 2's. it will work with the pay version you download form the acdelco site.

I'm curious if it works with what came with my clone tech 2.

I would imagine if the version you have is not "interface locked" then it should work fine. That is, unless it has interface requirements that are not "current", in other words, if the older versions of software only support older modes that the newer specifications no longer support that would be the only reason it wouldn't work.

Either way, please let us know if it works or not.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will do.. probably try later this week. I do have an email in asking if they have the drivers for my old xp laptop. believe thats what the cracked clone software works on. and I'd rather not load it on my newer one anyways if I don't have too haha. but either way I'm going to try updating some moduals soon as I get a few min. tech2win is more just a curiosity.

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the issue with the nano's and any other cracked hardware/software is that
gm is aware of there software bieng cracked and the cracks that are out there are timed, so after say 3-4 months or maybe as long as a year, then you have to update
they fix the cracks and the hackers make new ones and finding those updates is sketchy at best like trying to skrew a crackhoor and not catch a std.
I use a dedicated dell windows tablet that has no personal info on it, no log in's or passwords, etc so even if there was a virus it wouldn't matter and if it crashed it or locked me out with a paywall or something I can just wipe it and start over
I also have a clone MDI and a MDI II, both are pretty much useless now because they can't be updated to work with GDS2 unless at some point in the future I find a outside update
the best solution I think is to get the latest hard drive with software out there and throw it in a lenovo laptop, the laptops are maybe a $100 used on ebay, the hard drives with software generally are plug-n-play with the slightly older lenovo laptops, then it may last a good while until you need it for a newer model vehicle. at least for diagnostics purposes, programming a module you have to pay and have the most recent software which is usually just downloaded with a paid vin account, there is no way around that, the only benefit is you can use pretty much any j2534 device provided it is updateable.
gm updates there software left & right and if your device cannot be updated then it won't work.
the mdi clones (the ones I have) are not working now because the new software requires you to enter the serial number, the serial numbers on the clones are not valid.
When you say that GM is fixing the cracks you're talking about the gds portion not tech2win, correct? Someone buying a nano today and loading it onto win 10 would have no issues, other than the normal ones, getting it to work as a scan tool. Trying to update controllers is where the issue lies because you have to connect to Delco online? Am I understanding correctly? Haven't fired up my nano in almost a year and wondering what I'll be in for.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say that GM is fixing the cracks you're talking about the gds portion not tech2win, correct? Someone buying a nano today and loading it onto win 10 would have no issues, other than the normal ones, getting it to work as a scan tool. Trying to update controllers is where the issue lies because you have to connect to Delco online? Am I understanding correctly? Haven't fired up my nano in almost a year and wondering what I'll be in for.
firmware/license for the nano will likely have to be updated but tech2win is fine, no changes
that part is easy
programming a module online should also be fine as long as the license for the nano is up to date, whenever you do that gm's java software has be downloaded and that's always being updated but it shouldn't reject the nano as it is just using it as a pass-thru device.

basically the nano is licensed annually, so if you licensed it last in 2023 then it will likely need a update to 2024
GDS2 & the nano may only work for 3 months at a time and then need to be updated again then it's a battle of getting the nano & gds2 to work together (again).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts