Suspension noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brad Route

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So hopefully someone can give me some troubleshooting advice. I've got a 2008 Yukon Denali. It was making a lot of clicking, squeaking and rattling noises in the front. So I invested a lot of money for the long term and replaced on both sides the struts with AC delcos, both coil springs, the upper control arms, lower Ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, and stabilizer links. Now the old rattles and squeaks are gone but now I'm getting a noise from the driver's side that's hard to explain in words. Its not a hallow sound but more of a solid thumping noise when going over bumps. Almost as if something is shifting. I took the wheel off and checked to make sure everything was tight and nothing appeared loose. It seems to be getting progressively worse but im also listening real hard for it too.
Any ideas on what this could be or things to check for? It's driving me nuts. Invested all that money to hear that BS. The only thing that wasn't replaced was lower control arms. Thank you

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn’t mention the mileage but if those components were worn out enough to warrant replacing I would have replaced the pitman arm, idler arm and idler arm bracket. Not saying with any certainty that one of those is your problem but it’s certainly possible.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3560901&cc=1441039&jsn=3393

You did not do these, according to your list, and since you moved the bar to do the links you may have a noise there. Also, yes you invested a lot of money but you did the work and may have caused the "BS" you are experiencing. It's a shame that the very first time you post on the forum is not to introduce yourself but to complain about something you MAY have caused. Maybe you did not cause the problem and it was always there but you could not hear until you did the other work. Have some patience.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH. Lots of experience folks here, who will chime in with their suggestions and perspectives.

I am not a suspension expert by any stretch of the imagination, but many folks here are.

I know that it is frustrating that you have spent considerable time and money to resolve issues with your truck, but please be patient, as the money that you have invested so far, is certainly not wasted, but in fact is very helpful in prolonging the safe operating life of your truck. Together, the folks on this Forum will assist you in getting to the bottom of your issue, and resolving it. Knowing these folks, I have full confidence in that.

OP
OP
B

Brad Route

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I apologize for not properly introducing myself. I tried to make my post short and concise but I will elaborate more. It's a 2008 Yukon Denali with 6.2 L92 engine, AWD, z55 suspension, 18" wheels, fully loaded accessories, and white. Im not sure of the gear ratio but it does have towing package. I purchased this 14 months ago going against my anti-gm background. I've always had a soft spot for the yukons and Tahoe's.

I bought the truck with 130,000 and I've driven it 30,000 in the time I've owned it. Shortly after purchasing it I swore I was getting a lot of shudder from the torque converter but I took it to a tranny service center and they hooked it to some machine and said there wasn't any. However they flushed the system out and it has mostly went away. I've noticed this vehicle does not like to be lugged around. It runs pretty poorly under 2000 rpms. I don't drive fast so it's been an adjustment.
And I did not perform the work myself. A friend that is a certified mechanic installed the components. Everything went smooth except passenger side lower Ball joint seemed original and he struggled getting that out.
For some reason this got posted before I finished typing so I'm editing now.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The recommendation of vehicle info in your signature, like mine, is so that when you ask any help the rig info is automatically there.

Is there a reason the sway bar frame bushings did not get replaced? Have you had your tech friend try to determine where the noise is coming from?

I know you made the post short and concise but the more info we have, when asked for help, the better we can do that. So many times we get a request for help and then we start to ask questions and then b the 15th response in the thread we get a very important piece of info that was left out of a "short and concise" question. It happens because the OP thinks the info may not be relevant, when in fact it is very important. I ran shops for 35+ years and I asked a LOT of questions from the vehicle owner that was dropping off for work. I had customers jokingly accuse me of grilling them like they were in an interview room with the police. I always said the same thing, "The more info I get from you the more money I can save you". That always got their attention. I also asked if their doctors asked a lot of questions. They always said yea. I said, this is like the "Car Doctor's" office.

Here at this forum, never be afraid to ask a question and never be afraid to volunteer info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tatheho