Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok had the belts off started her up and …………..no noises
put the belts back on and ……….no noises ‍♂️♂️
Turned her off and checked it over,there is a very slight ply in the power steering pulley.Could it be the pumps on its way out?
Very unlikely that your PS pump is bad. Those Saginaw pumps are old-fashioned as an anvil and every bit as durable. Lots of these trucks go to the boneyard with 400k+ miles with their original PS pump still installed. The only exception to that is if you've ever had a leak in the system and the pump was run dry. Does it make any noise or have any roughness in rotation when you turn it by hand?

OP
OP
Bigjimmy

Bigjimmy

Reaction score
Steering has had slight squeak since I bought it 8 years back,it’s never been run dry that I know of.Im picky about maintain and keep on top of most things.
Noise definitely coming from that area at front passenger side of the engine,power steering pump is the only thing left I think it can be?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turned her off and checked it over,there is a very slight ply in the power steering pulley.Could it be the pumps on its way out?

AC compressor on passenger side, power steering driver side.. unless you have a RHD conversion?

Is it in/out axial play or wobble radial play? I have noticeable in/out play on mine, no noises but sometimes lose power steering when parking.

Seen a couple TSB's recommending different fluids for noise and cold climates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigjimmy

Bigjimmy

Reaction score
Steering has had slight squeak since I bought it 8 years back,it’s never been run dry that I know of.Im picky about maintain and keep on top of most things.
Noise definitely coming from that area at front passenger side of the engine,power steering pump is the only thing left I think it can be?
AC compressor on passenger side, power steering driver side.. unless you have a RHD conversion?

Is it in/out axial play or wobble radial play? I have noticeable in/out play on mine, no noises but sometimes lose power steering when parking.

Seen a couple TSB's recommending different fluids for noise and cold climates.
It’s standard left hand drive.Slight in and out play on power steering pulley,aircon disconnected no belt so it’s not that.Noise from pump(I think) seems too much for a fluid change to fix

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think I read a post lately where they cleaned their pulleys (wire brush?) and that fixed their belt squeal...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar