Stolen and Recovered 2012 Escalade Premium (re)build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmccormick

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here.

I have a 2012 Cadillac Escalade Premium AWD.

I dabble in used car market for quite some time, friend has a license I kind of scew around with.

3 years ago a good friend of mine approached me about finding him an Escalade.

I found this 12' Premium at a local insurance auction, it had a clear title still and low miles. It was stripped, more than the pictures show and more than we anticipated.

169EA3A6-A0C6-421A-8119-2BD6CDC70842_zpsq34gipww.jpg

We purchased the truck for extremely cheap in comparison to what they were going for in the used market.

Threw a spare tire on it and got it on the trailer.

4ED44730-AAA3-4BC1-9D65-A706F345632C_zpsfg6pnjjn.jpg

Once we got the truck home, I put a new battery in it and it started right up, the radio didn't turn on, instrument cluster did not turn on, and the headlights did not work. Kind of raised a small red flag.

Didn't think anything of it and moved on with planning to get it back together.

The drivers window was smashed out of it, so first things first was snag a window for it. We did that.

At that point we looked into why the headlights were not working, then discovered the harness had been cut, still didn't think much of it. My uncle works for GM so I contacted him to source some parts directly from GM at steep discounts. They took the vin number down and we went directly to the factory and picked up a new harness, That is when we discovered that GM said we had LED headlights, I looked and said no we have HID headlamps. To be honest I didn't even know LED headlamps were an option. It at started to make sense, So we bought the HID harness instead and crossed our fingers it would work.

We then tackled the Instrument cluster, and radio. Upon removal we found the Nav/radio and instrument cluster looked to have been sitting at the bottom of the ocean for years lol. Also noticed the module for onstar and xm was removed. Clearly so the vehicle couldn't be tracked. Purchased new radio, module and cluster. Dealer programmed everything and all worked flawlessly. We were still in budget as well.

Then looked into the 3rd brake light and spoiler on the rear, again took the vin to GM they supplied us with a new wing and light. When I got home and opened the box I noticed the light was clear, the tails were red. So that explained even more. We got the wing painted and rolled with the clear 3rd.

I sourced a GM Surplus dual exit rear bumper already painted and loaded with sensors, pad, chrome strip and tips.

We hit budget and the truck was back together and in running and driving form. The only gripes were the red tails not matching the 3rd but my buddy didn't care, also the HID's worked but flashed an error message every time you started the truck. Mind you this truck was only a year old at the time. Used LED's were few and far between and GM wanted $2795 each. We also let that roll too, he just cleared the message each time.

The truck also had 3 chrome wheels, when I went to purchase the 4th, GM informed me that my truck was shipped from the factory with the machined face wheels, which were $600 each and on back order. So we went with another chrome platinum wheel.

We discovered it has an 07-11 Front bumper cover and grill as well, this truck should have the blacked out 12-14 Platinum style front end. We left the 07-11 front end for budget reasons.

My buddy enjoyed the truck up until a few weeks ago, we mentioned to me it rode rough, I looked into it and the magnetic struts up front were blown out. Looking on cadillac forums and speaking with the dealer it's a common issue. He decided he didn't want to fix the items on the truck and expressed interest in my 2015 Sierra. So I had a soft spot for this truck and decided a trade was in order. He took my Sierra and I purchased the Escalade. He forwarded the deal to me and sold the truck for a song and dance. Considerable lower than any at local dealers of the same vintage.

So basically, this truck was leased new, stolen and stripped. The only weird part that points this to possibly being an inside job is someone took the time to bolt a 07-11 Fascia/grill on it, HID headlamps, red tails, broken radio and cluster and 3 chrome wheels. Insurance company may have dolled it up to get some of their losses back? I have no idea and I'll never know.

Now that we are back to speed and I have bored everyone with the back story.

This is how I received the truck, with currently 52,900 miles on it.

F3ADCD9E-3C13-42EB-BEF9-2D00281378E4_zpsczqdbf9u.jpg

all 4 wheels are corroded and curbed, tires have seen better days, struts are shot up front. It was not washed regularly and when it was washed he used a brush and dish soap lol.

It's a tad rough, but again I purchased for considerably cheaper than what the local dealers have theirs up for.

My first order of business was the head lights, I searched and found locally some LED lamps from a Surplus parts store with broken tabs, My friends body shop plastic welded them back together and now are stronger than stock. I have $750 into them total. Can't touch them used for less than $1200 each. The LED harness is supposed to be here today and I can't wait to install them.

F3A87083-F4A7-484D-9299-B11378C1A070_zpschphjidq.jpg

I then addressed the paint that was neglected.

000CBC02-E409-411A-9EF7-06B7A9E429FE_zpsefxkhfax.jpg
48A79B8B-7D54-4E25-8A03-F74A905E604B_zpscisfutbd.jpg
DF743DFC-650A-4809-984D-6BA9115E8568_zpslawplfmo.jpg

Spent an entire evening after work with my buffers and compounds and completed the Drivers side only. (4 hours)

241E3033-6640-49CE-A2A7-13BFB7F56512_zpsuua1tv9u.jpg

FC3CFA95-1397-4CC9-8AAB-4E69435ABE8D_zpslgklthvy.jpg

Last night I tackled the tail gate/hatch.

It was HORRIBLE. So I contacted my buddy at the body shop and he swun by after work and took the hatch apart for me to get a good buffing on.

Also debadged the gate.

29D1D47E-482A-4C56-B5CD-6936466F1F43_zpsega3cq9c.jpg

before any buffing

9BD1BD19-1AE9-473A-89C1-38F281DDC54F_zpsbulhitl3.jpg

After.

There is a little bit of random deep scratches. It took me 4 hours to do the hatch only. I am pleased with the results. It's not perfect but for a daily driver it's pretty good.

DD6D4215-ABC5-431C-B82B-2E7638F2960E_zpsyevmoqou.jpg

I sourced the correct GM OEM clear tails from a member here, very excited to get them on the truck and complete the rear end. Those should be here tomorrow.

661D9EAA-41C8-4DEC-A44F-FB1D3CB30E8C_zpsdxd9els3.jpg

I plan to finish up the buffing this evening. I'll post pics.

As far as future plans go, here is what i have in store.

12+ Premium/Platinum fascia and grill (like it should already have)

NorcallSS 2/3 drop with pan hard bar

New front struts.

Corsa touring dual exhaust with Corsa tips

24" TBSS Wheels in Black.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice transformation :)

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work and research on so many different parts. :waytogo:

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always good to save one from the shredder!

Great work!

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Hard to believe it had a clear title being a theft recovery. Looks good now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts