Stealth subwoofer install options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

09_BLK GMC

Reaction score
Hello, I have searched for stealth installs for our body style Tahoes (2011 Tahoe) but can't find much information. Just trying to get ideas, I'd like to keep most of my rear compartment. The only option I see is the ebay box for the center console cause I don't want to pay top dollar for a stealth box from JL. Any help would be great! Thanks guys!

Booby1323

Reaction score
The same guy on ebay that makes the center console box you mentioned (I believe Rodney's Boxes is his name) also makes a box for between the second row seats if you got the captains seats back there.

I considered getting one but I think I want to build my own because I wanted to put a JL 10w7 in that spot and Rodney's boxes cant build theirs for a down firing W7 because of the volume and travel of the sub. My plan was to build a similar box but with the w7 firing forward and I wanted to build it so it is on a hinge so the whole enclosure could tumble over like the second row seats for cargo space.

Booby1323

Reaction score
Another idea of mine was to gut an extra pair of third row seats and build sub enclosures on one or both of them. Id probably try to mount the amp on the enclosure and try to have the signal and power cables on some sort of plugs so that they could be easily removed for cargo space should it be needed or to put the original third row seats in. Might be a cool way to have a badass system and keep the ability to use the rear area.

I actually already bought and extra set of 3rd row seats like a year ago with the idea of doing this but I still unsure how crazy I want to go with sound system yet and haven't really done anything with them yet. Ive been scheming how to do the my system for a while now and I'm just now starting to get serious about gathering the equipment. Just picked up a new JL stealthbox for $300 off my local facebook listings and got a JL xd300/1 amp to run it and I found a good deal on a JL xd600/6 for the door speakers. I got about 150 SF of dynamat on the way as well. Still need to plan door speakers and something for some BIG bass.

OP
OP

09_BLK GMC

Reaction score
Nice!! That 3rd row seat idea is thinking outside the box, I would have never thought of that! You have a nice stack of parts, I like the xd amps cause they are nice and compact.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have searched for stealth installs for our body style Tahoes (2011 Tahoe) but can't find much information. Just trying to get ideas, I'd like to keep most of my rear compartment. The only option I see is the ebay box for the center console cause I don't want to pay top dollar for a stealth box from JL. Any help would be great! Thanks guys!

How much beat do you want? You can buy or build a box like this except have the sub firing downward so you could carry cargo on top:

maxresdefault.jpg

If you went with flat sub(s), you could make it about half as deep as the one in the pic. If you don't use the third row seats, you could make what's known as a "false floor" to fill in the whole cargo area. It'd look stock at first glance. You could mount your amps under it and would have plenty of air space if you wanted to make it ported.

OP
OP

09_BLK GMC

Reaction score
@kee guller What kind of amp and sub are you running?

@iamdub I'm not looking window rattling bass just more than what i have now. I do not have the bose or premium audio.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking window rattling bass just more than what i have now. I do not have the bose or premium audio.

I suggest you find someone with the Bose sub (it's in the console) and listen to it. Adjust the bass, etc. and see if it'll work for you. I'm decently satisfied with mine for what it is. Nothing chest-pounding, but it can be felt and fills the low end considerably well. Another member recently installed a low-profile all-in-one sub/amp/enclosure thing that fit where the Bose sub and enclosure would be (THREAD HERE). Actually, he replaced his Bose sub with it and reported that it sounded much better. I don't know if he meant louder or better sound or both, but I'd say it at least was louder. If you listen to a Bose system, just imagine it a little louder. If this will work for you, then you've got your answer for a stealth sub with nothing in plain view and no loss of any cargo space or even floor space, for that matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645