Squeak when starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G-Frog

Reaction score
My 2021 Yukon SLT has developed a squeak when it starts.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this? Engine mounts maybe?

There is also a similar squeak when releasing the brake after slowing down quickly or when the body leans in a sharp curve at city speeds 50 km/hr (30 mph) or less.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Starter not disengaging quickly enough? Noisy pulley on serp belt?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pop the hood and record in the engine area while the vehicle is started or use remote start and see if you can pinpoint it better. might take a few tries to narrow it down

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starter slightly out of alignment. Easily resolved by dealer.

OP
OP
G-Frog

G-Frog

Reaction score
The Yukon was at the dealer today and they sent this video explaining the problem.

https://steeleauto.com/video/2/alzygrla

It is suspected that as you brake and your foot is off the accelerator, the cylinder de-activation occurs and as you take your foot off the brake pedal, cylinder re-activation occurs causing added exhaust gases and making the valve move. Same issue in curves, foot off the gas as you the approach the curve and as you re-apply gas in the curves, the cylinders re-activate.

I had a similar noisy exhaust butterfly valve changed last year on my 2018 Traverse.

Corrosion happens quickly in the northern hemisphere.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
WOW! 5-7 days wait for part and bet there is a recall sent out. Looks like a lot of crud under there for a 2021.

OP
OP
G-Frog

G-Frog

Reaction score
Looks like a lot of crud under there for a 2021.

It's called undercoating; also known as rustproofing. You can hear the tech talking about it. Looks worst than it is. The stuff that is applied on my Yukon (Formula 3000) is a clear semi-gel like substance.

It was tested by the US Army and Canadian Military some time ago. You can test reports here: https://corrosionfree.com/wp-conten...t-of-Defence-Report-Highlighted-Text-copy.pdf

In these Northern neck of the woods, they use a lot of salt on the roads during winter. If you don't undercoat/rustproof, you'll get rust before the end of your first winter.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's called undercoating; also known as rustproofing. You can hear the tech talking about it. Looks worst than it is. The stuff that is applied on my Yukon (Formula 3000) is a clear semi-gel like substance.

It was tested by the US Army and Canadian Military some time ago. You can test reports here: https://corrosionfree.com/wp-conten...t-of-Defence-Report-Highlighted-Text-copy.pdf

In these Northern neck of the woods, they use a lot of salt on the roads during winter. If you don't undercoat/rustproof, you'll get rust before the end of your first winter.

35+ years of working in the auto repair field and 10 as a tech and 25+ as a service manager. I can tell you stories about dealing with rust caused by salt. I saw rust all over the tab that was holding the spare up and as he moved around under there, he was fast enough that could not get a good clear sight on everything. One of the reasons I moved to the PNW.

Vinnoto1

Reaction score
8K Miles on my YUKON XL and it is squealing for 30-60 seconds whenever it starts.. Based on the above something regarding the belt is failing, has anyone been to dealer regarding this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9