2021 Tahoe Chirp When Downshifting to a Stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neiu77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and I've searched all over to see if anyone is having this issue. So I apologize if I missed a thread on it.

My wife has a 2021 Tahoe LT. As we approached 40,000 miles, I noticed a chirp when coming to a stop. It only seems to happen when the transmission downshifts one of the last times. My guess is it's happening from 2nd to 1st. The chirp happens at the moment of downshift.

Recently I noticed that a similar noise is being made at speed when providing gas after coasting. I've noticed it more at low speeds in a neighborhood, if you coast for a few moments, then start to accelerate it will chirp again. A few times it has remained a consistent squeak.

I've mentioned this to dealerships numerous times, of course they can never replicate it (or more likely they don't really try to). The sound sure seems to be coming from the rear differential to me. Also, given that it happens on downshifts and when providing gas it seems logical to think it is power train related.

Today the dealership thought changing the rear diff fluid was the best first step. They did, said they drove it and heard nothing, but I'm still hearing it. Maybe seems slightly better, but I also could be trying to convince myself the $200 was worth it. The car now has about 45,000 miles on it.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what it could be or has anyone experienced the same thing? Initially I thought something with the trans, but it seems to be coming from further back in the car. Could it be something as stupid as a loose belt that is chirping and the noise just seems to be coming from the back of the car? I ask since that's the best way to describe the sound. Like a belt chirp on start up. I'm at a loss, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
You need to take the service person/mechanic for a ride and so they can hear what you hear.
Is it possibly a tire chirp when down shifting? If it is getting the transmission into fast learn mode may fix it (it will relearn your driving style). You could also try driving in tow/haul to see if anything changes.

OP
OP
N

neiu77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You need to take the service person/mechanic for a ride and so they can hear what you hear.
Is it possibly a tire chirp when down shifting? If it is getting the transmission into fast learn mode may fix it (it will relearn your driving style). You could also try driving in tow/haul to see if anything changes.
Thanks for the quick response. Definitely not a tire chirping. I've tried changing up the transmission from 2 to 4, tried the tow/haul thing. Still happens the same. I agree, next trip to the dealer I'll insist I take someone out so I can replicate for them.

OP
OP
N

neiu77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

John52269

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine is a 6.2. My buddy has a Tahoe with 5.3 and his does the chirp too.

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
They talk about the chirp in this forum. I also drive in L9 on local streets and the chirp goes away and back to normal drive on highways. It's the DFM doing it thing https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/250973-2021-sierra-denali-62l-engine-or-exhaust-chirp-noise/
That makes sense. I haven't had a DFM truck since my 19 Sierra and it did some odd things until I got the DFM disabled. Unfortunately most the DFM disable stuff for the Silverado/Sierra won't work on the SUVs. Driving in L9 is the only option at the moment. I think you can get a tune to disable DFM but that may void the drivetrain warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts