Squeak towards back of Tahoe while driving (not shocks)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what is squeaking. I have a 2001 Z71 Tahoe AWD version.

I've disassembled the rear suspension, inspected and reconditioned all the bushings, spring mounts, installed new shocks, and new sway bar links. I also pulled off the driveshaft, cleaned and greased the Universal joint.

Part of my squeak was bad shocks. However, a squeak still persists after installing new parts. I'm wondering if there's a common squeak in the interior somewhere. I have the mid-row bench seat... Does that tend to develop a squeak?

Or is there other areas to check. The noise is definitely coming from behind the front row seats towards the back of the Tahoe.

Thanks for the help :) I'm pretty **** retentive about having this just perfect lol

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crawl around the back with a mechanic's stethoscope and poke around while someone drives. If it does it on short and sharp bumps such as when hitting the reflectors in the middle of the road, this will be convenient. You may not even need the stethoscope if it's an interior squeak. Sit on either side of the second row bench and see if that stops it. Apply pressure to the various plastic trims, door panels, the doors themselves (don't forget the rear hatch), third row seats if you have them (or take them out), etc.

Isolating it to inside or outside would be a huge step. I found a squeak in my S10 that sounded like it was in the dash behind the gauge cluster to be from a heat shield under the cab floor rubbing the transmission bell housing. Using my stethoscope to listen to the trans tunnel with the carpet pulled back pinpointed this. The dealership had it for three days and gave up.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
could be anything really like Chris said your going to have to either have someone sit in the back and try to find it or have someone drive and you find it, my 00 2nd row bench used to get a little squeak

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah super idea. I need to get a mechanic's stethescope and have somebosy else drive. Thanks a million as silly as it sounds i had not thought of that.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Sometimes we get so caught up trying to "superdiagnose" that we skip the fundamentals.

On that S10 that had the squeak "behind the gauge cluster", I actually removed the entire dash- gauge cluster, radio, A/C ducts... everything, and drove around only to find the squeak was still there. It got to that point before I broke down and let a shop look at it and even they gave up.

I'm not a total idiot, though. I actually wanted to pull the dash to have it dyed black, just not right at that time. I drove for about two years with no dash.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what is squeaking.

I've disassembled the rear suspension, inspected and reconditioned all the bushings, spring mounts, installed new shocks, and new sway bar links. I also pulled off the driveshaft, cleaned and greased the Universal joint.

Did you use any new bushings not made from rubber? Those poly ones squeak. Did you check the body mounts?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use any new bushings not made from rubber? Those poly ones squeak. Did you check the body mounts?

I reused the old, original rubber bushings. Crazy as it sounds. I took the control arms and pan hard bar off.

I inspected all of them visually and they looked great... I then cleaned them first with dawn dish soap to get the dirt and grease off. Then I wiped them completely clean with denatured alcohol as so no soap residue. Lastly, I applied two coats of ATP 205 Reseal ensuring each coat soaked in.

Afterwards I installed on car, ensuring proper suspension pre-load and torque specs on fasteners. It's amazing how many legit looking tutorials online fail to ensure proper pre-loading and completely ignore torque specs.

Keeping true to my **** retentive nature I used a laser measure to go from each rear shock mount to each front lower ball joint and ensure the distances were equal directly and cross the chassis. Separate post lol

Additionally, I installed two new Bilstein 5100 series shocks in back to match the new 5100 series in the front.

All done, I got under the truck and pulled on everything shook it etc. I then jumped up and down on bumper exercising suspension. I could hear no squeaks outside the truck.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the mechanic's stethoscope. I couldn't find a single thing with the interior that was at issue. I am thinking perhaps it's the rear universal joint. My guess is it's completely dried up w/ little or no grease. Unfortunately, I don't have one with a grease zerk. Curious what Universal joint to you recommend?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Dana/Spicer U-joints. I don't know if it's an option for our rigs (probably so), but you may be able to get a greasable joint versus the OEM sealed design.

When exactly does it squeak?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE