2008 Denali XL..Suspensions. From autoride to passive shocks and struts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In some applications the sensor that they are referring to is for the magnaride so it doesn’t throw a code.

I.e. the rears are still autoride plug and play but not magnaride but have a sensor so it won’t throw a code.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 ^^^ it is plug and play. Thinking about a pair for my 07 Denali.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In some applications the sensor that they are referring to is for the magnaride so it doesn’t throw a code.

I.e. the rears are still autoride plug and play but not magnaride but have a sensor so it won’t throw a code.
but that doesn't make sense. if you're buying a direct replacement then there wouldn't be a need for that.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your current shocks have a place to plug in the sensors if they’re stock. The aftermarket mentions it to avoid confusion.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your current shocks have a place to plug in the sensors if they’re stock. The aftermarket mentions it to avoid confusion.
I know that but what throws me off was it saying they provide the sensor so there is no errors. so does that mean I can't use the old one? I'm thinking the fronts are like the rears with a connection for the air and another for the plug

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference is with passive shocks a resistor is included to fool the system. If you get oem it’ll have the plug in like you have now and can continue using. I think sellers try to over communicate to avoid returns.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference is with passive shocks a resistor is included to fool the system. If you get oem it’ll have the plug in like you have now and can continue using. I think sellers try to over communicate to avoid returns.

the SK-2954 is a passive shock not a z55 replacement

Reaction score
the SK-2954 is a passive shock not a z55 replacement
Confirmed this with Arnott days ago.. I was told Arnott does not make an OE replacement for the front of Z55 rides. Unless I read incorrectly(was in a hurry at time), Suncore makes an active OE replacement for the front end of Z55's; believe they were in the $350 range?

Reaction score
how do you think the ride quality of a fresh z55 suspension is vs bilstein 5100's?
Did you ever find an answer to this question?? Or has anyone ever seen an answer to this? I haven't found a definitive one yet

Currently rolling for about 45days w/ my Z55 fuse removed(no real time damp, no ride height) after an air bladder explosion during a remote start session lol. I can't make up my mind on what to do?? There is plenty of feedback on the OE setup on multiple forums.....but I KNOW the OE setup is great! There aren't more than a handful of straight stretches longer than a 1/4 mile within 50 miles of my home area (thank God :-D), and I believe most of them are severely undulated :-D.
OE corners super flat, allows for (this is gonna sound a bit extreme) the ability to throw the truck into banked corners, and creates a feeling of confidence I never would've imagined possible in a 6200+ lb SUV(SUT)....
But I have not been able to find anyone that can give an honest assessment of new Bilstein 5100 or 5160(or equivalent) + 4600's up front + new springs front
I honestly can’t answer that as I have never ran Bilsteins on my SUV’s. I have always maintained Autolevel by using Arnotts AS-2700’s or Autolevel and Autoride with AS-2708’s. ***Have you learned anything new on this topic since this post?

2007 Yukon Denali here. Got rid of the autoride years ago. I’ve got a 2” (or 3” as I can’t exactly remember) coil spacer that works perfectly for me. ***Which coil spacer did you go with?

If you decide to keep the stock height, in my opinion you can't go wrong with the factory system. Rockauto has the OEM z55 autoride rear air shocks for $250 each. I just installed a fresh set in each of our Denali's and they're holding pressure great. Originals on my '12 lasted 117K and were holding pressure fine, but one started to leak a little hydraulic fluid so I replaced them. The units on my '07 were unknown and were leaking just enough air to require replacement. Both will hold pressure 100% now with a 4000' trailer. ***I believe they're down to $230 now? And I agree, they do tow very well

and rear VS a new OE Z55 setup!?!? Yes the OE is great but I want to know if the high end passive setup is greater??
I would keep the stock air ride and go with the arnott's from rockauto like Dave stated above, I did the same and no issues after 3 years now plus they come with a lifetime warranty. ***It's an extremely well designed system

So installed the Bilstein HD 4600 shocks and Spohn front end links and Hellwig rear end links and as expected, major upgrade. No more multiple bounces on most bumps and dips. Massive increase in control without any discernible hit to comfort. The end links cut some noticeable body roll too ***May I ask which shocks you have on the rear?

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confirmed this with Arnott days ago.. I was told Arnott does not make an OE replacement for the front of Z55 rides. Unless I read incorrectly(was in a hurry at time), Suncore makes an active OE replacement for the front end of Z55's; believe they were in the $350 range?
I only hear bad about suncore. and from what i been gathering, only replacement for the front z55 is acdelco or monroe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt