Squeak towards back of Tahoe while driving (not shocks)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume your truck is a 2wd, mine does indeed come out a little wet with transfer case blue fluid, not a lot but enough to lube the seal surface and notice its there. ATP 205 is indeed awesome stuff! I packed my driveshaft with grease and it reduced the clunk when slowing down or sudden acceleration, although I might bite the bullet and get a new upgraded yoke. Its weird that it went away, and then it came back, I wonder if the squeak will be there next time you take it out again. Could even be the seal outer dust boot making the noise in the dry part of the slip yoke going in and out spinning for all we know. Is it more pronounced going over bumps or is it constant rubbery feeling, you could even try some lube spray into the seal see if it helps when it starts to make it. I doubt the splines would squeak, I know mine bind and make a clunk, but then again you never know. I noticed you only changed one of the joints as you were getting the other one, maybe that could be it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up changing bolth joints. Just didnt get it in that photo yet.

I will try greasing that boot, good thought maybe its that :).

Fyi, dont think i will do greaseable joints again. They appear gd in theory but i could for the life of me get grease to come out all four caps :/ also you have to get ujoints with the grease zerk in the cap.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I reconditioned the original rubber spring seats. They looked to be in really breat shape. Maybe I should hit them with a little silicon grease though and see if it helps...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Please do...I am dying to know what this noise is myself!

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOt sure about the yoke, so cannot help you there. If that's not the issue though, consider the following:

Are the bushings original, as in 230k miles? You said they looked good, and reconditioned them, but old rubber is old rubber. They may look good externally but at 18 years old they cannot be functioning the same as when new. I'm afraid you will probably need new bushings,. Good luck

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOt sure about the yoke, so cannot help you there. If that's not the issue though, consider the following:

Are the bushings original, as in 230k miles? You said they looked good, and reconditioned them, but old rubber is old rubber. They may look good externally but at 18 years old they cannot be functioning the same as when new. I'm afraid you will probably need new bushings,. Good luck

Yeah, you're probably right. I had bought a chassis ears. Not sure if you are familiar with the product? It's wireless microphones you clip on all over your chassis to find noises like this.

They are great in concept but the quality was utterly appalling. Several of the microphones didn't work out of the box too so I returned the system.

Curious if anybody has an idea of another similar product?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesertGator

Latest posts