Cold Air Intake for the most power??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pcm tune / ecm & tcm tune is a MUCH better bang for the buck.
Axle gear upgrade costs more, but can actually improve city MpG.

I actually think I'm done with cold air intakes.
Almost any other mod will get more horses per dollar spent.
It's not like my hood is transparent.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Has anyone tested the power gain in the different brand intakes? Im getting ready to buy one, most the time im happy to have one to let the truck breathe better but I know this tahoe will be with me long term and would rather buy the best and not have to replace being dissapointed!

Let me hear your pros and cons to the intakes you've tried out!

Thanks,

Brennan
Home made intake,super cheap and added the k&n filter.

Gained 50hp. Lol

Attachments

• 20231202_101000.jpg
    20231202_101000.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 5

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory setup is a damned good design as it isolates the intake air from the engine bay heat. It just looks boring and the duct has Hemholtz resonators to quiet down the intake air sound. It is NOT choking the engine of air. To improve the looks and sound, throw on an MIT. The one weak point to the factory design is the seal between the filter box and fender. That thin foam seal and the adhesive securing it degrades with time. It falls in or rots away, allowing a little engine bay heat to be sucked in. It's still a very small amount of hot air compared to the pretty chrome tube and giant cone filter setup.

My solution for the seal starts here:

Checking it after three years- Sealing great!

img_6045-jpg-jpg.jpg

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll add my $0.02. 100% agree that we already have CAI on our trucks and that it's a pretty good system as-is. But slight advantages in getting rid of the accordion flex tube and all the resonators, if only for looks/sound/clean up engine bay. On my '09, I added the Airaid MIT as some have suggested, but I got it used from a member on here. Looks like they are going $200 new - a LOT to pay for a plastic tube! On my current '13, I plan to replace the factory tube in one of two ways: 1) home-made tube or 2) buy a $60 Amazon or E-bay cheapie and just use the tube by plumbing it to factory air box. I know folks on here have done #1, so that's doable. Anyone know someone that's done #2? There are threads on here where it's been discussed as an option, but I haven't seen any where it's been done.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice! And +1 for a tune!
My intake air temps have typically been around 20 degrees above ambient after warmup. (stock intake old foam)

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tested the power gain in the different brand intakes? Im getting ready to buy one, most the time im happy to have one to let the truck breathe better but I know this tahoe will be with me long term and would rather buy the best and not have to replace being dissapointed!

Let me hear your pros and cons to the intakes you've tried out!

Thanks,

Brennan
Not the same years of truck but at least gives you an idea on how some of them performed.

tgwhit12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't want to sound contrary to many of the replies, but I tried the Air Raid which came with the K&N. It's not a hill I want to die on with regard to increased horsepower or torque, but I could feel a different throttle response before I was completely reversed out of my driveway. That's on my 13 PPV Tahoe where I'd replaced the 5.3 with a new GM 6.0. As others say, the sound / groan at mid throttle to wot is noticeable, but I have it in my head that it's a nice upgrade for $$225.00. Afterwards, I liked it so much that I did it to my 11 PPV Tahoe with a higher mileage 5.3. I like it and they "feel like" they get more air. And, I swear the "seat of the pants" feel is better. Certainly worth a few hundred bucks if you're keeping the trtuck a while.

Last edited:

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 afe CAI. Besides looking cool, cleaning up the engine bay and more intake noise I can’t tell a power difference but blackbear did a test showing some power gains.
Installed on my black bear tuned 2003 suburban afe 54-74101

IMG_2266.jpeg

I have this on my 2018 sierra 6.2L
aFe Momentum GT - 54-74104
IMG_0437.jpegIMG_0439.jpeg

Last edited:

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i purchased one used from a different forum member and the other on Amazon but a return sold by Amazon warehouse. Both were a good discount vs buying new and paying retail so check marketplace, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obs_teezy