Squeak/Whistle coming from rear-end of Tahoe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cayd3n_idk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I'm driving an 03 4WD LS Tahoe, and I've been having an odd squeak coming from (what I believe) the rear-end for a while. I changed out the entire braking system thinking that was it. Nada. I've replaced bearings within the differential, as well as the cover. Shocks are within 8 months old, and I already did the sway bar links/bushings both front and back. The noise is like a high pitched whistle in a way, and only happens while I'm moving, usually it starts off about 5-10MPH but follows into <55mph. It also will only happen on un-even pavement, like if I'm going down a bumpy road or where the lines don't match up. The pitch changed after I did the rear sway bar bushings, so I'm thinking it might have something to do w/ the bar? I'm not the greatest at diagnostic work, and I've had a mechanic look at it but he couldn't even figure it out. Any help would be appreciated!

Work Done - All Shocks, R/F Sway Links/Bushings, Diff Bearings, U-Joint's, Calipers/Rotors/Pads, Everything sprayed with lithium grease.

OP
OP
cayd3n_idk

cayd3n_idk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What about the rear trailing arm bushings where they connect to the frame?
I did some more looking, and I believe it's the parking brake shoes that are grinded to bare metal. Had my ASE buddy look, he agreed. Gonna just delete them on both sides and see if that does it. We replicated the squeak to exactly that spot, by pushing *a hair* on the cable and it made the noise. If not, I'll check out those bushings/arms themselves.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I did some more looking, and I believe it's the parking brake shoes that are grinded to bare metal. Had my ASE buddy look, he agreed. Gonna just delete them on both sides and see if that does it. We replicated the squeak to exactly that spot, by pushing *a hair* on the cable and it made the noise. If not, I'll check out those bushings/arms themselves.
I should have thought of that. Slow speed/crawl in stop and go traffic on my old set and could hear them. Replaced the shoes and hardware and cables and noise went away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019