Spare Tire Carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inspired by posts in this thread:

I went looking for an external spare tire carrier. Found several GREAT options, but it turns out they all have the same flaw: They block the parking sensors. :-( Anyone use or have seen an external mount that 1) doesn't block the parking sensors, 2) doesn't take up interior/bedspace, and 3) isn't roof mounted?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inspired by posts in this thread:

I went looking for an external spare tire carrier. Found several GREAT options, but it turns out they all have the same flaw: They block the parking sensors. :-( Anyone use or have seen an external mount that 1) doesn't block the parking sensors, 2) doesn't take up interior/bedspace, and 3) isn't roof mounted?
I've had mine on a roof rack but it is very difficult to get it down. I ended up putting it in the cargo area, passenger side, standing up with a ratchet strap, tied to tie down and seat frame. Not a lot of space lost.
I agree with @DirtDigler . I was hoping to do the same thing and ran into issues with the parking sensors. Then, you also have to make it able to swing out so the gate can open. For overlanding, I just put it in the passenger rear corner standing up and ratchet strapped to the seat pins. It does take up some space, but no different than a 1995 2 door tahoe.

I had contemplated using a swing out bike carrier, but I think it will still throw off the sensors. Let us know what you figure out if you pursue it further.

rzabel

Reaction score
I was thinking about one of these below. I have a 2" receiver front and back. Anyone try something like this?

I tow a lot, so I'd probably put it on the front just when off-roading and keep it underneath when towing. I've had to dig out sand, snow, rocks and dirt too many times where that big spare gets me hung up.

Edit: Just read the Amazon reviews and the one that drops down (which you would need to open hatch in back) doesn't sound heavy duty enough. For me, I'd be more inclinced to get the CURT and mount it on the front.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I am considering a fold down, but don't know how difficult/annoying lifting and dropping the spare will be. I'm on 33s, right now.

I want to relocate the spare so I can add an additional gas tank. That's what got me started on this rabbit hole...

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the add-on the suburbans were able to option?
Pretty much! The ECU have the programming to pull from multiple tanks. You just need to program them -- or so I have been told., But between the 2500 Suburbans and the Chassis Cab trucks with additional fuel tanks, I believe there is enough anecdotal evidence.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be building a swing out carrier that mounts to the rear bumper and ties down into the frame underneath. You could certainly find a local fab shop to build you one to your liking, depending on how much you're willing to spend. Check with local hot rod and restoration shops, or small race tracks, see who they recommend for tube work such as building cages.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be building a swing out carrier that mounts to the rear bumper and ties down into the frame underneath. You could certainly find a local fab shop to build you one to your liking, depending on how much you're willing to spend. Check with local hot rod and restoration shops, or small race tracks, see who they recommend for tube work such as building cages.
Yeah; from what I've seen, the hitch mount spare tire carriers cover the parking sensors. :( So custom may be the way I go. I don't really want to have one of the custom bumpers (picky me, <sigh>).

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My solution is going to use the factory bumper. A tube will bolt to the frame and with a couple of bends will bolt underneath the bumper VIA plates welded on either end. Then above the bumper another plate will be bolted opposite the plate underneath. A "spindle" will be welded to that plate, and a swing out carrier will sit down over that spindle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE