33" spare tire fit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Has anyone tried fitting a 33" spare into stock position? I hate having to rely on AAA if ever get a flat especially if I'm out wheeling. Worst case I'll have to put it in the cabin but then I lose passenger space and cargo space plus who wants a 90lb missile inside the cabin in the event of an accident. I've seen posts about thousand dollar bumper mounts but that's not realistic for my budget right now.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just have stock 265/70 R17 on my Z71, but here is a guy who put 315/75 R16 (34.6" diameter) under his 04 Silverado 2500HD...

Maybe the undercarriage is substantially different on the 2500HD where the spare sits. I don't know. Others can tell you what the deal is on ours.

Keep in mind that the wider tire you are looking to stow under the truck might cut down on your departure angle clearance. Having the spare underneath might be fine, but would it be an issue if you are hung on a rock or tree stump as a result of the spare hanging low?

If I were serious about riding trails or crawling rocks, I might think about welding up some kind of custom carrier. Rooftop? I also saw a neat discussion thread by a guy that made up a custom swing-out carrier mounted on the back bumper. That was cool!

OP
OP
Carolina Brown
Reaction score
Good point (departure angles)….. I think I will mount a 33” in the stock location (assuming it fits) and when I hit the trails remove it to the interior and afterwards put it back under truck.

I need to go down to NC next month and there are a lot of used tire places that can help me with a 33” spare to fit the 16” steel rim that came with the truck.

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had mine on a roof rack but it is very difficult to get it down. I ended up putting it in the cargo area, passenger side, standing up with a ratchet strap, tied to tie down and seat frame. Not a lot of space lost.

OP
OP
Carolina Brown
Reaction score
@DirtDigler..what size spare is it that you use? How did you secure it to the roof when you tried that?

I'm really leaning toward getting a used tire while I'm down south and mounting it in stock location...the stock tire is 10" wide and the 255/85/R16 is 10" wide, so no big worries for deterioration in departure angle...but is .4 inches smaller in diameter than my current tires...so long as I stay under 50mph and treat it truly as a spare, I think it will be fine...but the tire size is rare...I don't know if I'll find a used one...the only other one that's close is a 295/75/R16, it is a match in height to my current Yoko's but it is 1.6" wider than stock so may degrade departure angles....we'll see.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also saw a neat discussion thread by a guy that made up a custom swing-out carrier mounted on the back bumper. That was cool!
You don't happen to have a link to that, do you? My Silverado 2500 has a 26 Gallon tank; it gets about 11 MPG (in town). The MPG doesn't kill me as much as it should -- I work from home -- but the range is annoying. So with a spare tire mount OTHER than under the bed, I could add an additional tank. Thanks!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't happen to have a link to that, do you? My Silverado 2500 has a 26 Gallon tank; it gets about 11 MPG (in town). The MPG doesn't kill me as much as it should -- I work from home -- but the range is annoying. So with a spare tire mount OTHER than under the bed, I could add an additional tank. Thanks!
Pretty sure this is what I saw...

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I installed my Gibson Extreme cat-back dual exhaust system, I had to give up my spare tire, due to clearance issues with the dual exhaust system. I was willing to give up my spare tire for that exhaust system, but I protected myself with this kit.

Tire Repair Kit.jpg

Please note that I do not go off-road with my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop

Latest posts