Sold NBS Tahoe. New NNBS Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Flexx

Flexx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ran 275/65r20?

Thats the tire size on the new 2500 dodge and ford trucks. I think they would look sharp with the lift on a burb.

Thinking that size in a transforce at on stock rims.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was eyeballing a clean title NNBS suburban a buddy has at his shop, 2009 W 170k for $7k, clean title it's an LS with LTZ 20s...I'd keep both, but i think the Tahoe looks too much like a car in the nose. Decisions decisions

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flexx..... The 1st thing I did to my '05 Yukon XL , was get new tires.....and change the weight location.
As I see in your pictures,..... get the tire guy to put the wheel weights inside the wheel, instead of the weights on the outside edge!!

OP
OP
Flexx

Flexx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flexx..... The 1st thing I did to my '05 Yukon XL , was get new tires.....and change the weight location.
As I see in your pictures,..... get the tire guy to put the wheel weights inside the wheel, instead of the weights on the outside edge!!
Yes! Thats driving me crazy. I'm waiting to score a deal on a set of 275/65/20 factory take off tires. Then I'll add my lift and tires. New ones will have weights inside!

OP
OP
Flexx

Flexx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my build is postponed right now. Have parts in the garage too.

Truck has puffed a white cloud on cold start a few times. Gas mileage has dropped from 17-18 to 14.5. This is on a 20 mile straight flat stretch on cruise at 70-74 every day. Also consuming some oil.

Going to have it checked. I am hoping the dropping cleaner in the plug holes, soaking, blow out, and change oil fixes it.

If not I'll probably be selling it and getting an 09-10 version.

Really sucks, this truck is so clean and low miles.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Well, my build is postponed right now. Have parts in the garage too.

Truck has puffed a white cloud on cold start a few times. Gas mileage has dropped from 17-18 to 14.5. This is on a 20 mile straight flat stretch on cruise at 70-74 every day. Also consuming some oil.

Going to have it checked. I am hoping the dropping cleaner in the plug holes, soaking, blow out, and change oil fixes it.

If not I'll probably be selling it and getting an 09-10 version.

Really sucks, this truck is so clean and low miles.

Try Kreen.... it is good stuff... run some in the oil for 500-1000 miles before oil change and soak the pistons/rings for a bit... you can also run some through the vacuum line while the engine is running... water works great through the vacuum line as well to break up carbon on the valves and pistons... just trickle it in a little at a time while keeping the engine running... you would be amazed.

OP
OP
Flexx

Flexx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try Kreen.... it is good stuff... run some in the oil for 500-1000 miles before oil change and soak the pistons/rings for a bit... you can also run some through the vacuum line while the engine is running... water works great through the vacuum line as well to break up carbon on the valves and pistons... just trickle it in a little at a time while keeping the engine running... you would be amazed.
Can i expect any of that to actually work?

I'm just paranoid about it, usually whatever the worse case scenario is happens for me.

Strongly considering selling it and buying an 09-10.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Can i expect any of that to actually work?

I'm just paranoid about it, usually whatever the worse case scenario is happens for me.

Strongly considering selling it and buying an 09-10.

While I cannot guarantee that it will work it is cheap enough and easy enough to try... what do you have to loose... it's certainly not going to hurt anything or make it worse.

These trucks are known to consume oil through the PCV. That is why so many of us run a catch can. If you look inside your intake you will see oil laying on the intake floor.. this oil is ingested and causes a lot of carbon build up on valves, pistons, rings and causes the problem to be worse.

The best thing to do would be to pull the intake and clean it out really well to get rid of the excess oil and then follow the procedure I outlined above and then add a catch can to prevent it from happening again in the future.

Also deactivating the AFM via a tune will help with oil consumption.

My 2 cents... YMMV

OP
OP
Flexx

Flexx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I cannot guarantee that it will work it is cheap enough and easy enough to try... what do you have to loose... it's certainly not going to hurt anything or make it worse.

These trucks are known to consume oil through the PCV. That is why so many of us run a catch can. If you look inside your intake you will see oil laying on the intake floor.. this oil is ingested and causes a lot of carbon build up on valves, pistons, rings and causes the problem to be worse.

The best thing to do would be to pull the intake and clean it out really well to get rid of the excess oil and then follow the procedure I outlined above and then add a catch can to prevent it from happening again in the future.

My 2 cents... YMMV
Any input on why mpg would drop? Or the big white cloud on start up? All from the same?

I am just concerned about lifters already failed or about to, valves, etc. I don't want to throw 4k in repairs at a 10k truck.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Any input on why mpg would drop? Or the big white cloud on start up? All from the same?

I am just concerned about lifters already failed or about to, valves, etc. I don't want to throw 4k in repairs at a 10k truck.

Mileage drop could be just how the truck calculates MPG.

If you have been driving mostly on the highway and the computer is calculating mileage based on continued running at a given speed and then you speed up your mileage will drop or if you get off the interstate and start driving in stop and go traffic the MPG will go down. The DIC is only "so" accurate.

Smoke on start up could definitely be from all the oil in the intake as I described.

Worried about lifters failing... I'm not sure how many miles are on your truck but it could happen with any of these trucks... obviously higher mileage would be more prone to it but some guys have had trouble with less than 100k miles.. changing it for a different year really isn't going to change that.

Do you have any lifter tick???

If you are mechanically inclined swapping out the cam and lifters should only cost about $1500 for a decent upgraded cam and non-AFM lifters and all associated gaskets and parts and such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boromircalantir