Sold NBS Tahoe. New NNBS Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Flexx

Flexx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage drop could be just how the truck calculates MPG.

If you have been driving mostly on the highway and the computer is calculating mileage based on continued running at a given speed and then you speed up your mileage will drop or if you get off the interstate and start driving in stop and go traffic the MPG will go down. The DIC is only "so" accurate.

Smoke on start up could definitely be from all the oil in the intake as I described.

Worried about lifters failing... I'm not sure how many miles are on your truck but it could happen with any of these trucks... obviously higher mileage would be more prone to it but some guys have had trouble with less than 100k miles.. changing it for a different year really isn't going to change that.

Do you have any lifter tick???

If you are mechanically inclined swapping out the cam and lifters should only cost about $1500 for a decent upgraded cam and non-AFM lifters and all associated gaskets and parts and such.
125k miles. I'm mechanically inclined. But not enough, nor do i have the tools to do a job like that.

I thought everything I'd read was after 09 they fixed the issue. Other bonus would be six speed. Literally settled for this truck because of price and how clean interior and maintenance records were. I find it hard to believe the issues just started. But theres nothing in all the dealer records about even checking for oil consumption. And it had every single oil change done since it was new at a dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
125k miles. I'm mechanically inclined. But not enough, nor do i have the tools to do a job like that.

I thought everything I'd read was after 09 they fixed the issue. Other bonus would be six speed. Literally settled for this truck because of price and how clean interior and maintenance records were. I find it hard to believe the issues just started. But theres nothing in all the dealer records about even checking for oil consumption. And it had every single oil change done since it was new at a dealer.

They supposedly upgraded to a "better" design AFM collapsible lifter and VLOM after a certain point... can't remember when... @swathdiver

But they still crap out... maybe just not as frequently.

Either way... I'm not trying to talk you into keeping it if you want something newer... just trying to give options that are cheap and easy to try... if you try it and it fixes/improves it maybe you could get a little more out of it when you sell it to help fund the newer truck.

OP
OP
Flexx

Flexx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They supposedly upgraded to a "better" design AFM collapsible lifter and VLOM after a certain point... can't remember when... @swathdiver

But they still crap out... maybe just not as frequently.

Either way... I'm not trying to talk you into keeping it if you want something newer... just trying to give options that are cheap and easy to try... if you try it and it fixes/improves it maybe you could get a little more out of it when you sell it to help fund the newer truck.
Thanks. Yeah, really don't want to buy another. I HATE spending money.

I'm going to try the things you posted and see what it does. Then I'll figure it out.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The improved parts came out in 2011 and the lifters were improved again with the K2s which our trucks can run.

White smoke is usually coolant. Have you done a compression test and do you know someone with a Tech2?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
A little puff of "white" smoke in the morning can easily be oil and condensation from the exhaust, especially if the nights get cooler where you are.

Coolant/water is white (steam) but usually would be more constant, not just on startup and you should also notice coolant lose from the reservoir.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I’d take it slow and easy and try some of the suggestions given in this thread before doing anything too drastic like selling for a newer year unless you just really want to.

I have an 07 as well. I had lifter failure happen due to the afm garbage at about the 135k mark. At that point I replaced the lifters and had the AFM garbage tuned out by Blackbear. Ever since then I’ve had no issues and my oil consumption is pretty much nothing and I’m at 205k miles now. So something to consider. I’m pretty sure that your oil consumption issue is largely due to AFM. In the 07-14 SUVs that system is really a huge pile of crap lol

OP
OP
Flexx

Flexx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I’d take it slow and easy and try some of the suggestions given in this thread before doing anything too drastic like selling for a newer year unless you just really want to.

I have an 07 as well. I had lifter failure happen due to the afm garbage at about the 135k mark. At that point I replaced the lifters and had the AFM garbage tuned out by Blackbear. Ever since then I’ve had no issues and my oil consumption is pretty much nothing and I’m at 205k miles now. So something to consider. I’m pretty sure that your oil consumption issue is largely due to AFM. In the 07-14 SUVs that system is really a huge pile of crap lol
Yeah, i really don't want to go through selling and buying. We'll see. Two a days and start of school is not the time to deal with this crap.

One of my players dads looked at it this afternoon. He is a chevy mechanic. He's going to take to the dealership tomorrow and run diagnostics.

He said he was worried either head gasket and lifters are bad, or that i have a cylinder scored and its letting oil in and that the white cloud on start is from the oil in the cylinder getting burned out.

Hopefully will figure out tomorrow.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i really don't want to go through selling and buying. We'll see. Two a days and start of school is not the time to deal with this crap.

One of my players dads looked at it this afternoon. He is a chevy mechanic. He's going to take to the dealership tomorrow and run diagnostics.

He said he was worried either head gasket and lifters are bad, or that i have a cylinder scored and its letting oil in and that the white cloud on start is from the oil in the cylinder getting burned out.

Hopefully will figure out tomorrow.

Sounds like it's in good hands :waytogo: Even if it is lifter that's not a huge deal. Just replace them, tune out the AFM and move on. You'll be good to go for a long time after that. :)

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A failed lifter(s) you'll hear. How did you lift the truck? Throwing spring spacers under it will mess with the alignment some. Dragging the tires sideways going down the street will affect mileage. Also, getting the thing into the air will expose more of the undercarriage to the air, which will also affect the mileage.

Did you do the drop-in K&N yet? Make CERTAIN the air tube is still well connected to the air filter housing. If the tube is not attached well, or has come loose, the truck can still run, but the signal from the MAF will be off.