Scraping grinding noise in rear end somewhere.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slight seepage and especially since that is the worst, it is not critical. I would be more worried about the rust.

If rust is that bad, could have a fuel leak up on the top of fuel tank. But, you are saying that never smelled fuel before the shop looked at the truck?
Correct, it reeked after the shop gave it back. I’m still driving the loaner I got from a Friend till I figure out what route I wanna take for my shocks.

My truck has an exhaust leak so it would always smell like a little bit of gas when starting it up maybe for like 30 seconds and then would go away. But when I got in it yesterday after getting it back from the shop, it literally reeked like fresh gas. It didn’t smell like my exhaust, which makes me think they might’ve spilled something in there, or spilled something on themselves, and then sat in there.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@OR VietVet about that rust, that’s how it was when I got the vehicle. Maybe it has progressed a little more. But I clean the undercarriage regularly and we don’t use as much salt as people would think here on the roads in the winter. I think it’s just surface rust. And then my paint job has a few areas that look like they corroding a little bit. Midwest winters will do that especially when you don’t have offstreet parking or a garage

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any way I can narrow it down and know for sure? I checked my u joint but it feels solid. Doesn’t turn and doesn’t have any slop in it. Not much knowledge on park brake.
A bad u-joint won't necessarily have slop in it. It has to be removed from the pinion and manually moved by hand to inspect. Or you can jack up the rear axle, put the truck in neutral, and rotate the shaft by hand to see you hear any creaking noises or feel hard turning spots. You could also put the truck in gear with the rear wheels off the ground and let it idle. With the rear wheels spinning, maybe you'll be able to track it down. But, jack up the axle by the pumpkin so as to keep same geometry as going down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz