Scraping grinding noise in rear end somewhere.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took off from a stop and kept hearing a very loud and noticeable scraping noise. Like a rock got stuck or something. I looked at my rotors by just walking around the vehicle and everything looks ok. Any idea what it could be ? Seems to only happen when taking off and not when using brakes

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have the undercarriage a good spray down in the self serve wash and no noise on the way home. What are the odds it was a rock stuck between the rotor and the backplate ? I checked my U joint and there’s no play on that either.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iboughtatahoe23 Do you have drilled and slotted rotors? Does it stop when you apply the brakes?

I used to have drilled and slotted rotors and man what a dumb thing for me to do taking it off roading and mudding, half the time little rocks and sand would get in the little holes in the brakes making a similar sound. Just a thought

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iboughtatahoe23 Do you have drilled and slotted rotors? Does it stop when you apply the brakes?

I used to have drilled and slotted rotors and man what a dumb thing for me to do taking it off roading and mudding, half the time little rocks and sand would get in the little holes in the brakes making a similar sound. Just a thought
No just stock rotors and ceramic pads. I do believe it was a rock though. It would start making the noise as I take off slowly from a stop sign and would keep going until I came to a complete stop. It would get worse at one point as I turn and slow down. But I took it for a good wash and it stopped. For now.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a rock or debris between the brake backing plate and the rotor. And probably gone now.
That’s what I thought. I washed it and it went away for the night but it’s back now the next morning. Guess I’m just gonna have to get it into the shop.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just a guess mind you, but at one time I had a similar noise and was the park brake shoes hardware. I replaced with all new shoes, hardware and cables and adjusted and noise went away.

Good point. I was also going to mention that debris can get inside the parking brake rotor hat and cause noise. Might need to disassemble the jiggly bits to check it out.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point. I was also going to mention that debris can get inside the parking brake rotor hat and cause noise. Might need to disassemble the jiggly bits to check it out.
Yes just not sure how to do all that I’m not a mechanic and it’s cold as hell in South Dakota right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts