Replace 5.3 l59 with this....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Old wild land firefighter
Reaction score
I have to add, what was a cam, cold air, exhaust turned out to be more than I thought. But first, scenario and upgrades, waiting for new timing gears chain and trunnions

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
Okey donkey. Pulled other head. Started to clean em up. Called local parts store machine shop and going to have them clean the heads, valley cover and rocker covers. Found a piece of gasket material lodged next to rocker arm, looked like I dodge a bullet. Day off. Yeah!!

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
Just a couple of shots. I can still see crosshatch in cylinder. Have just a little bit of cleanup ahead. Just cleaning tomorrow. Maybe pull cam ,lifters timing chain. Dunno

1634D20F-9831-422D-A627-13D05452311D.jpeg CE08606B-F2C1-4987-8500-4A14A860D23A.jpeg

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
Spent the day cleaning the surface of the block for heads. Took off timing cover. Waiting for parts. Think I’ll pull oil pump and timing gears, sprockets. Any tips to keep cam and crank from turning when yanking sprockets?
Also is there a screen under oil pressure sensor and where is it?

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
Well I think the screen under the pressure sensor didn’t start till 2007. That’s what I found. Can somebody concur?

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
Cool, great I don’t have to worry about it.

Dropped front axle, and got the pan off. Looks good, no sludge, screen clean. Dropped-pickup tube to replace o-ring.
Yanked lifters, pulled oil pump to get to timing chain for replacement. I think I saw 5/8 of play in chain is to much and replace. Almost to my goal of swapin cam out, for a nice one.
Then oil pump back on ....

Pick up heads tomorrow, had em cleaned. Bottom of the apex and now the new stuff starts going in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9