5.3 L59, No Oil Pressure Due to Sludge, Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long story, Ill make it as short as I can. I bought an '04 Tahoe 4x4 w/ the 5.3, 155k mi about 13mo ago - completely stock. Once I changed the oil a few times a pretty bad lifter tap appeared on cold starts, got worse pretty quickly. This gave me an excuse to rebuild the top end, and add a new cam/heads at about 172k mi. Over the 4th of July weekend I tore it down to replace the lifters w/ new LS7s, pushrods, BTR stage II cam, built 243 heads, all gaskets/hardware in between, and a dyno tune afterwards. I was a GM tech for 5 years and have done a few performance head/cam swaps on these engines in the past, so its a job I was very familiar with. Everything went pretty well until I got the front cover and valve covers off. This engine is hard sludged worse than almost any engine I've ever personally worked on. Looks like between the fuel dilution, probable long oil change intervals, an obvious overheat or two, and maybe some water entry from the previous owner, this bulletproof engine is in alot of trouble. I pushed on with the rebuild, cleaning everything as well as I could without a parts washer. Here are some pics pre-cleaning:

wGDSHP3.jpg
Qiqm9Qo.jpg
eok7HU3.jpg

Note: I was not planning on replacing the oil pump or timing gear/chain at this point - I (somehow) had decent oil pressure before the rebuild and was going to do later when I had the oil pan off and/or was adding significantly more power. Oil pump was NOT disturbed so I didn't have to worry about the pickup tube falling off.

I double checked everything, put it all back together, and went for the initial engine startup. Got 0psi oil pressure after about 15sec, shut if off - crap, I guess the oil pickup tube fell off while I was manually turning the engine over or something? Whatever, time for a new pump and LS2 chain/sprocket I guess. I didn't have room to drop the diff and pan in my garage, and was short on time, so I had it towed to a shop close by. They found that the oil pan had about 1.25" of black sludge built up in the bottom of the pan, so between that and anything I may have dislodged during the job the oil pickup tube had clogged up completely - this got me worried because I know some had to get into the pump, but didn't think it would cause a massive issue. They installed the new pump, tube, and timing chain/sprocket, double checked all of my work and saw no other issues that would cause low pressure. When they started it, they only got 4psi oil pressure at idle. They cleaned out the oil pressure sensor, checked it with a mechanical gauge - still 4psi. At this point the mechanic and I assume sludge got moved through the system and probably clogged atleast one crank bearing or some other oil passage. I had him flush the hell out of it twice, once over the weekend - still 4psi on Monday morning.

So at this point, the bottom end needs a complete rebuild - something I don't have the time, tooling, or space to do myself - this is my DD. On top of that, the wife is getting very tired of my old truck habit, wants a K2xx Tahoe, and for me to stop buying NBS for DD duty. I really want to try to save it, its a great rig otherwise. What other options do I have? Anyone else here ran into anything like this? I am thinking of trying to just dump a gallon+ of B-12 Chemtool into the crank, letting it sit for a day or two, and turn it over by hand a few times. Good idea? What else would you folks do? Any help is much appreciated.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imo, it needs pulled out.
If you already have heads and everything else, why not grab a junkyard engine?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Had a somewhat similar issue with my Express van--4.8. It has kind of low mileage when it happened, maybe 145-146,000. The oil pressure slowly started to get low, til it eventually went to 0 at idle. I had to rev it to get around 10-20 psi. My friend replaced the oil pump. I was there and couldn't believe all the sludge in it. I bought it at around 110,000 on it. I'm RELIGIOUS with my oil changes, I have it done every 2500-3000 miles.20200114_184000.jpg 20200114_184153.jpg 20200114_190420.jpg 20200114_190430.jpg 20200114_190436.jpg
Not as bad as yours, but def neglected. I think what started it was I use conventional oil and the last 2 oil changes was synthetic. Must've knocked sludge loose. My buddy put in a HV Melling oil pump--I checked the O ring and it was perfect--and no change. New pump did nothing. Oil pressure was still 0--but gradually over a few weeks the pressure went up. I now have around 50-55 psi on the highway. Just sharing my experience with you.

OP
OP
RedRadioFlyer

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Imo, it needs pulled out.
If you already have heads and everything else, why not grab a junkyard engine?
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I agree on all points, and the reasons are really just excuses, but I'm working in a tiny garage and don't have and engine stand, its my DD so I need it or something else back on the road ASAP. Mainly its because the lady doesn't want me dropping any more money on something this old and I have no room to store it and buy a beater to get me by. If were single and still had a 2nd vehicle this one would be getting pulled and stroked for sure

Had a somewhat similar issue with my Express van--4.8. It has kind of low mileage when it happened, maybe 145-146,000. The oil pressure slowly started to get low, til it eventually went to 0 at idle. I had to rev it to get around 10-20 psi. My friend replaced the oil pump. I was there and couldn't believe all the sludge in it. I bought it at around 110,000 on it. I'm RELIGIOUS with my oil changes, I have it done every 2500-3000 miles.Not as bad as yours, but def neglected. I think what started it was I use conventional oil and the last 2 oil changes was synthetic. Must've knocked sludge loose. My buddy put in a HV Melling oil pump--I checked the O ring and it was perfect--and no change. New pump did nothing. Oil pressure was still 0--but gradually over a few weeks the pressure went up. I now have around 50-55 psi on the highway. Just sharing my experience with you.

Glad to hear this. Its something I have considered; just running it with some heavier oil and crossing my fingers that the sludge gets knocked loose. Then I run the risk of hurting the performance parts I just threw on it, and its gunna run horribly in the meantime without a tune. Idk, we'll see.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a waste of a low mile motor. never seen sludge like that. my 295k oil pan looked new compared to that sludge pan and cover.

OP
OP
RedRadioFlyer

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What a waste of a low mile motor. never seen sludge like that. my 295k oil pan looked new compared to that sludge pan and cover.

I know, trying to save it. Breaks my heart that this would be the end of the truck for me.

Put a gallon and a half diesel and trans fluid in the crankcase and turned it over without the fuel pump relay a few times. Going to repeat a few more times and give it until Sunday evening and see where that gets me. Last ditch effort to get this thing going.

I did crank it up earlier since it has some oil pressure. Was able to get it to about 20psi at 1500rpm, didn't take it up to operating temp though, still below spec but its movin' at least. Definite bottom end tick at idle, but not knocking. When i pulled the oil drain plug there was very minimal metal shavings on it, and it didn't smoke when running, its unlikely that its burning through a bearing at this point. Keeping my fingers, toes, and dicks crossed that this works - but I'm not expecting it to.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story, Ill make it as short as I can. I bought an '04 Tahoe 4x4 w/ the 5.3, 155k mi about 13mo ago - completely stock. Once I changed the oil a few times a pretty bad lifter tap appeared on cold starts, got worse pretty quickly. This gave me an excuse to rebuild the top end, and add a new cam/heads at about 172k mi. Over the 4th of July weekend I tore it down to replace the lifters w/ new LS7s, pushrods, BTR stage II cam, built 243 heads, all gaskets/hardware in between, and a dyno tune afterwards. I was a GM tech for 5 years and have done a few performance head/cam swaps on these engines in the past, so its a job I was very familiar with. Everything went pretty well until I got the front cover and valve covers off. This engine is hard sludged worse than almost any engine I've ever personally worked on. Looks like between the fuel dilution, probable long oil change intervals, an obvious overheat or two, and maybe some water entry from the previous owner, this bulletproof engine is in alot of trouble. I pushed on with the rebuild, cleaning everything as well as I could without a parts washer. Here are some pics pre-cleaning:

Note: I was not planning on replacing the oil pump or timing gear/chain at this point - I (somehow) had decent oil pressure before the rebuild and was going to do later when I had the oil pan off and/or was adding significantly more power. Oil pump was NOT disturbed so I didn't have to worry about the pickup tube falling off.

I double checked everything, put it all back together, and went for the initial engine startup. Got 0psi oil pressure after about 15sec, shut if off - crap, I guess the oil pickup tube fell off while I was manually turning the engine over or something? Whatever, time for a new pump and LS2 chain/sprocket I guess. I didn't have room to drop the diff and pan in my garage, and was short on time, so I had it towed to a shop close by. They found that the oil pan had about 1.25" of black sludge built up in the bottom of the pan, so between that and anything I may have dislodged during the job the oil pickup tube had clogged up completely - this got me worried because I know some had to get into the pump, but didn't think it would cause a massive issue. They installed the new pump, tube, and timing chain/sprocket, double checked all of my work and saw no other issues that would cause low pressure. When they started it, they only got 4psi oil pressure at idle. They cleaned out the oil pressure sensor, checked it with a mechanical gauge - still 4psi. At this point the mechanic and I assume sludge got moved through the system and probably clogged atleast one crank bearing or some other oil passage. I had him flush the hell out of it twice, once over the weekend - still 4psi on Monday morning.

So at this point, the bottom end needs a complete rebuild - something I don't have the time, tooling, or space to do myself - this is my DD. On top of that, the wife is getting very tired of my old truck habit, wants a K2xx Tahoe, and for me to stop buying NBS for DD duty. I really want to try to save it, its a great rig otherwise. What other options do I have? Anyone else here ran into anything like this? I am thinking of trying to just dump a gallon+ of B-12 Chemtool into the crank, letting it sit for a day or two, and turn it over by hand a few times. Good idea? What else would you folks do? Any help is much appreciated.

looks like it came with the stock oil as well

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a case in which the oil was only changed a few times the entire life of the truck.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
That's a case in which the oil was only changed a few times the entire life of the truck.
I don't understand--out of all the maintenance, other then changing the air filter--changing the oil is one of the easiest things to do. Just pay someone if you don't want to do it yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts