Remove roof exterior body parts?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Matthew Jeschke, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke Full Access Member

Name:
    Matthew
    I'm trying to slowly prep the truck for paint. I need to remove a few body parts.

1. the plastic pieces that are on either side of the rear hatch.
    2. Brake light above hatch.
    3. Rubber gutters between C & D Pillars (rear window).

It's on a 2001 Chevy Tahoe

2. adventurenali92

adventurenali92 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chase
    1.The pillar covers beside the hatch are easy to remove. I think there’s two(?) small bolts that hold them in along with a sort of w shaped plastic clip. Once the bolts have been undone, you just gently wiggle it away from the body and the w shaped clip will release.
    2. The third brake light should have a screw on either side of it holding it to the body. And that’s in your tailgate door jamb area right above the weather stripping. I believe they are torq screws. Once those are removed, lift the light housing away from the body and gently pull the rubber grommet that covers the brake light wire out of the body. Unplug the harness and the brake light should be free from the truck at that point. Make sure you tape the other end of the brake light pigtail to the truck where the hole for it is, so you don’t lose it inside the hole.... I made that mistake when I was swapping my Walt third brake light in and it took me a minute to get the end of the pigtail back out so I could reconnect it with the pigtail on the Walt third light.... that was fun... lol

Big Mama likes this.
  3. Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke Full Access Member

Name:
    Matthew
    It woeked. Thanks, I may need to buy new plastic trim peices. Not sure what those are called. Mine were in rough shape. Most of tabs are broke off :(

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

4. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    They are called appliques or vents. Good time to upgrade to the Escalade ones....

20180807_191804.jpg

adventurenali92, Galante and Tonyrodz like this.
  5. adventurenali92

adventurenali92 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chase
    Yeah when I first swapped vents I took a set off of a suburban in a junkyard so I could color match mine and the first set I pulled I broke clips. Takes a little practice but you will get it! Like Nate said^ time for Escalade vents! Lol
    I have the Escalade vents as well and they look better! Although mine are color matched to my truck unlike his black ones!

Matthew Jeschke likes this.