Rear Wiper Function Tests

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I test rear wiper motor and switch function with my Tech 2? I looked everywhere in the various menus and could not find any special functions or data display for the switch or motor.

You can see status of front wiper motor and there are data displays or function tests for almost everything in the truck...

Motor not lifting the arm out of the cradle under its own power. It will move a little if I help it out and will park when shut off.

I just was hoping to use Tech 2 to test the switch and motor function to make sure it is not the cheaper switch causing my issue, before looking at rear wiper motor.

OP
OP
MassHoe04

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could not find anything in the Tech 2 Paths document that was directly related to the rear wiper motor.

Perhaps @swathdiver has a thought on this.
OK. Thanks for checking!
We'll see what @swathdiver knows on this...
I thought it would be worth a shot to see if such diagnostics were possible.

The Tech 2 can look at and control so many switches, controls, modules, actuators... I thought there might be a chance of doing something on this without tearing things apart or firing the parts cannon.

I kind of hope this might be a switch issue, rather than wiper motor. Easier and cheaper!
But, that things don't always work out that way for me... LOL.

OP
OP
MassHoe04

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know off the top of my head but can try and take a look tonight. Download a Tech-2 Pathing Guide in the meantime and see if it's in there.
I have pathing doc now. Work 9 out of 10 days. Had time to poke around Tech 2, but not motivated or time to try looking up for myself. I figured if it were possible, someone might already know.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
If you dont find anything and need to test remove rear door panel touch a wire both ends striipped to the motor ground.I found that 50% of rear wiper problems are the ground on door.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the rear hatch glass and wiper motor are synced if one or the other thinks (sense's) the other is in operation it won't work, try opening the rear glass hatch and slamming it shut a few times and see if that makes any difference.

OP
OP
MassHoe04

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rear hatch glass and wiper motor are synced if one or the other thinks (sense's) the other is in operation it won't work, try opening the rear glass hatch and slamming it shut a few times and see if that makes any difference.
Haven't gotten to do anything further on this yet. I did try slamming the rear window a few times, but that did not do anything. Thanks for the tip, though! It was worth a try.

OP
OP
MassHoe04

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know off the top of my head but can try and take a look tonight. Download a Tech-2 Pathing Guide in the meantime and see if it's in there.
Not sure when I'll get to this, but I did find this in the Tech 2 Pathing document...

Rear Wiper – Body > Lift Gate Module > Special Functions
Rear Wiper Relay – Body > Body Control Module > Special Functions > Output Control > Wiper Test

I'll try to see what these two things might tell me sometime this week...

However, I am assuming the Wiper Relay is fine, since the wiper does sometimes do a little something and can park if it makes it onto the glass (with help).

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't gotten to do anything further on this yet. I did try slamming the rear window a few times, but that did not do anything. Thanks for the tip, though! It was worth a try.
that worked for my wife's 05, the wiper wouldn't work and it wasn't fully parked soon as I started messing with it the wiper parked it's self and then still wouldn't go and knowing they are synced I went ahead and did as above opened and closed it a few times kinda hard and the wiper started working again and is still working.
maybe the motor is "tired" if the function test with the tech2 doesn't make it work then it could be the motor