Rear Main Seal job, Pan, etc - 07 Yukon Denali 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great news, we did a 2000+ mile trip to Leadville, CO(highest US city-10,152') and back. Now I'm pleased with our Yukon. It used zero oil. It doesn't burn or leak any now. The catch can isn't necessary anymore, because it doesn't catch much of anything anymore. What is does catch smells more like gasoline and is watery like gasoline? The Yukon performs good in the snow, and it's comfortable doing the 1000 mile 15 hr non-stop drive each way. I'm happy with my decision to buy this vehicle. Here is a pic of what came out of the catch can after 1200 miles.
View media item 27505

Fan-freakin'-tastic.

Just to recap, the only oil control measure you did was that valve cover?

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fan-freakin'-tastic.

Just to recap, the only oil control measure you did was that valve cover?
Yes, that and I put on the deflector on the afm bypass valve, and possibly un-stuck some rings by doing the solvent soak job as described in TSB 10-60-01-008M.

Was it the valve cover? or all 3 things that did the trick?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that and I put on the deflector on the afm bypass valve, and possibly un-stuck some rings by doing the solvent soak job as described in TSB 10-60-01-008M.

Was it the valve cover? or all 3 things that did the trick?

Well, the deflector in the oil pan helps by stopping the high-pressure spray of oil from being a mist and getting sucked out of the crankcase via the PCV system. The valve cover relocates the vent hole away from a splashing oil area. So, I'd say both of those contributed to minimizing the root cause. The stuck rings are a byproduct of the oil burning in the combustion chamber that got there from the aforementioned failure points.

I don't know if I'll do the deflector on mine, at least not right away. If I understand the system correctly, that valve shouldn't operate and cause a mist since I have my AFM disabled in a tune. I'll definitely be replacing the valve cover as I already have it. Just need to find time after the holiday hoopla settles. Mine doesn't consume all that much oil, but it can use some improvement nonetheless. It's invaluable to see such drastic results and I'm grateful for you keeping this so well documented.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't consume all that much oil, but it can use some improvement nonetheless. It's invaluable to see such drastic results and I'm grateful for you keeping this so well documented.
Had I not seen it for myself, I probably wouldn't believe it. I was hoping for these results, but I would have bet $ against it. I think the new valve cover is $ well spent.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I was hoping for these results, but I would have bet $ against it. I think the new valve cover is $ well spent.

Same here! This is why I'm a bit excited to see that there IS hope!

I'm now even more motivated to swap my valve cover.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Great news, we did a 2000+ mile trip to Leadville, CO(highest US city-10,152') and back. Now I'm pleased with our Yukon. It used zero oil. It doesn't burn or leak any now. The catch can isn't necessary anymore, because it doesn't catch much of anything anymore. What is does catch smells more like gasoline and is watery like gasoline? The Yukon performs good in the snow, and it's comfortable doing the 1000 mile 15 hr non-stop drive each way. I'm happy with my decision to buy this vehicle. Here is a pic of what came out of the catch can after 1200 miles.
View media item 27505

just a question in regard to the snow, was there ever a situation where the AWD was tested? accellerating from a stop on a incline where it lost traction and the system controlled the wheelspin? i live a couple hours from mammoth and plan to get into some snow this season so just wondering. With your exp would you put the cables on the front or rear wheels if required?

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a question in regard to the snow, was there ever a situation where the AWD was tested? accellerating from a stop on a incline where it lost traction and the system controlled the wheelspin? i live a couple hours from mammoth and plan to get into some snow this season so just wondering. With your exp would you put the cables on the front or rear wheels if required?
I don't know what you mean by "tested"? we did normal around town driving on snow plowed roads, nothing deep.
Worked great, no slipping or sliding, its sure footed. No cables for us. The tires are newish Falken Ziex S/TZ05 275/55R20

Stimpy911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the oil catch can something you added? The shop just told me I had a small rear main leak. I also want to check the oil pressure switch to make sure that is not leaking instead since o have gad the gauge drop to zero twice now.50c1b8833c27e3122b9e86f5d18112c2.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Stimpy911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, 2010 Yukon XL Denali AWD

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog