Valve Covers, AFM Deflector, Oil Consumption TSB 10-60-10-008M

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a new guy here. While watching a utube video today about removing the oil pan, they talked about TSB 10-60-01-008M. WTF !
This TSB says to install valve cover # 12570427 on 07-08, and valve cover # 12642655 on 09 and later engines ONLY. There is a *NOTE* stating "These rocker covers are for specific years. The PCV orifice is different for each. The correct cover must be used or an SES light may set". There is a lot more scary info in it. I suggest you read it thoroughly.
I'll be installing the AFM pressure relief valve deflector,# 12639759, valve cover # 12570427, and doing the combustion chamber flush procedure while I have my oil pan off.
He's a link for the TSB:

https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63/cec66346-04c1-48e0-98a6-74c35af2c84e_2014+Engine+-+Oil+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

What do yawl have to say about this?

Last edited:

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Great read, I consider myself sooooooooo lucky to have purchased our 08 6.2 without any knowledge of afm. I dont have it and none of the dormant components are installed in the 08 block? Im sure i would have bought the vehicle anyway as i was uninformed, however i wish GM would insert their power plant design engineers into a foreign compeitor car company to FUBAR one of their engines! Hang in there and forward this thread to GM to keep them up to date on the reality of trusting one of their products outside warranty!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Have fun!

Great read, I consider myself sooooooooo lucky to have purchased our 08 6.2 without any knowledge of afm. I dont have it and none of the dormant components are installed in the 08 block? Im sure i would have bought the vehicle anyway as i was uninformed, however i wish GM would insert their power plant design engineers into a foreign compeitor car company to FUBAR one of their engines! Hang in there and forward this thread to GM to keep them up to date on the reality of trusting one of their products outside warranty!

We might have lost the small block chevy were it not for displacement on demand government regulations what they are these days. The Gen IV components were updated in 2011 and they are much more reliable. The Gen V DI engines are even more reliable and because of their increased horsepower, use it more often, up to 51% of the time. The engines in the new generation pickups can shut off ANY combination of cylinders, called Dynamic Fuel Management, and operates about 60% of the time now.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a new guy here. While watching a utube video today about removing the oil pan, they talked about TSB 10-60-01-008M. WTF !
This TSB says to install valve cover # 12570427 on 07-08, and valve cover # 12642655 on 09 and later engines ONLY. There is a *NOTE* stating "These rocker covers are for specific years. The PCV orifice is different for each. The correct cover must be used or an SES light may set". There is a lot more scary info in it. I suggest you read it thoroughly.
I'll be installing the AFM pressure relief valve deflector,# 12639759, valve cover # 12570427, and doing the combustion chamber flush procedure while I have my oil pan off.
He's a link for the TSB:

https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63/cec66346-04c1-48e0-98a6-74c35af2c84e_2014+Engine+-+Oil+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

Why did you wait until AFTER I ordered the '09+ valve cover to tell me this?!

J/k

Oh well. I got the cover cheaply enough that I won't be sore if I have to perform some small modifications to make it work peacefully on my '08 5.3. It's not rocket surgery and less hassle than relocating the hole in my stock cover. Getting settled in to read your link...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my #12642655 valve cover delivered. I'll have to find a way to get a light inside the PCV port to see what the difference is between it and my stock cover. I think my borescope will fit. I tried to turn the nipple to see if I could break it free and pop it out, but it didn't budge. If I pinch it any harder for more grip, I'm likely to squash it. The casting number on the actual cover itself seems to be the same as any other cover, so I believe the actual cover is the same and the only change is to the PCV nipple/port and to the stainless baffle attached to the underside. So if the hole in the cover for the nipple/port is the same size between the two, I might can swap my original PCV port to this new cover. I'll handle it when I actually go to swap them. Worst case, I'll do as originally planned and modify my stock cover and pass this newer one on to someone with an '09+ motor.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my #12642655 valve cover delivered. I'll have to find a way to get a light inside the PCV port to see what the difference is between it and my stock cover. I think my borescope will fit. I tried to turn the nipple to see if I could break it free and pop it out, but it didn't budge. If I pinch it any harder for more grip, I'm likely to squash it. The casting number on the actual cover itself seems to be the same as any other cover, so I believe the actual cover is the same and the only change is to the PCV nipple/port and to the stainless baffle attached to the underside. So if the hole in the cover for the nipple/port is the same size between the two, I might can swap my original PCV port to this new cover. I'll handle it when I actually go to swap them. Worst case, I'll do as originally planned and modify my stock cover and pass this newer one on to someone with an '09+ motor.

Didn't you and I hash all that out a couple weeks ago?

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What info in there are you referring to as "scary"?
On p.2 of the TSB it states "If this repair does not correct the condition, it may be necessary to replace all of the piston assemblies (piston and rings) with new parts." SCARY !

GM also states "Some customers may comment about engine oil consumption of vehicles with higher mileage (approximately 48,000 to 64,000 km (30,000 to 40,000mi
GM thinks that is "higher mileage" ????? SCARY !!!!

GM thinks oil consumption is normal? they state "If the customer understands that some oil consumption is normal and still feels the consumption level is excessive, more than 1 quart per 2000 to 3000 miles of driving" Again SCARY

I guess I've been spoiled? because the last 10+ yrs and 190K miles my Toyota daily driver hasn't burnt or leaked any oil, and I do extended oil change intervals based on used oil analysis results.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't you and I hash all that out a couple weeks ago?

Kinda... But this cover was $36 to my door. That makes it not worth my time to relocate the hole in my original cover, essentially making it the same as the #12570427. For less than $40, I have the relocated hole. I just need to address the difference in PCV valve or orifice or whatever it is, and I believe that'd be easier than cutting and welding the baffle. If I'm wrong, then someone with an '09+ will have a deal on an upgraded cover. On the other hand, I may discover a cheaper alternative to the #12570427 for the '07-'08 owners.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On p.2 of the TSB it states "If this repair does not correct the condition, it may be necessary to replace all of the piston assemblies (piston and rings) with new parts." SCARY !

GM also states "Some customers may comment about engine oil consumption of vehicles with higher mileage (approximately 48,000 to 64,000 km (30,000 to 40,000mi
GM thinks that is "higher mileage" ????? SCARY !!!!

GM thinks oil consumption is normal? they state "If the customer understands that some oil consumption is normal and still feels the consumption level is excessive, more than 1 quart per 2000 to 3000 miles of driving" Again SCARY

I guess I've been spoiled? because the last 10+ yrs and 190K miles my Toyota daily driver hasn't burnt or leaked any oil, and I do extended oil change intervals based on used oil analysis results.

I see what you mean now. Yeah, it's pretty freakin' ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixmontiel