Rear Main Seal job, Pan, etc - 07 Yukon Denali 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard was it to take the tranny out? You are motivating to do mine, I just hate the idea of getting the transfer case and tranny out, I have all the seals and what not, I just need to find my will.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard was it to take the tranny out? You are motivating to do mine, I just hate the idea of getting the transfer case and tranny out, I have all the seals and what not, I just need to find my will.
The short answer for a home gamer like me is "its a giant PIA". For a pro that does it on a regular basis its no big deal. I had an 02 4x4 Surburban w/200k miles before this that needed: the front diff rebuilt, transfer case rebuilt, tranny filter change, oil pan gasket change, but I could never get motivated to put all that labor and $ into a vehicle that's was worth about $2500, so I traded it in on this 07 Yukon. My motivation to do all that I'm doing now is because the Yukon drives and rides like a dream.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the front diff/steering put back in it, and put on the new rear engine cover w/rear main seal.

I called a recommended local transmission shop about rebuilding my good working 130k tranny since I have it out. They get $2300 to $2700 depending on what they find. They said at 130k miles the tranny probably has some life left in it, but the torque converter might be getting tired. If it fails it could kill the tranny.

The factory stock GM TC that I took out was made by ZF Sachs, #JMBX2423. I'm not a fan of things made by this co. The stock shocks on my Prevost MH were made by them and weren't worth a flip. The stock shocks on my Polaris RZR were made by them and weren't worth a flip either.

So, I'm gonna replace the TC w/a rebuilt one from Precision of N. Hampton, $200 locally. A tranny rebuild will have to wait.
View media item 27438View media item 27439

Last edited:
OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part# for the Precision brand torque converter I'm putting in is #4646. Its a little beefier than #4645 which is what is called for by application. The difference is the 4646 has a ballon plate added to it. I replaced the tranny pump seal and the turbine input shaft o-ring.

Its coming together! Hope to have it on the road again soon.
View media item 27462View media item 27461View media item 27460View media item 27463

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
The part# for the Precision brand torque converter I'm putting in is #4646. Its a little beefier than #4645 which is what is called for by application. The difference is the 4646 has a ballon plate added to it. I replaced the tranny pump seal and the turbine input shaft o-ring.

Its coming together! Hope to have it on the road again soon.
View media item 27462View media item 27461View media item 27460View media item 27463

torque converter to pressure plate on transmission install/alignment go smoothly? looking good and it must feel great to have that beast of a trans back in position!

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
torque converter to pressure plate on transmission install/alignment go smoothly? looking good and it must feel great to have that beast of a trans back in position!
No problem, I drag race and I remove and re-install PG trannys quite often, so I'm familiar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgeurts