Rear Main Seal job, Pan, etc - 07 Yukon Denali 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I get 1 oz every couple of thousand miles in the catch can :)

and it doesn't leak or burn any oil

ChuckP33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm currently doing the rare main seal and the oil pan gasket. Along with replacing the oil pump pickup tube gasket, transfer case gasket, oil cooler gasket, and oil pressure relief valve defector. I currently have the oil pan off and about to start working on getting the transmission out. Do I install the oil pan now or what for the transmission to be taken out? Also, in what order do they go back together?

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Charlie, that was years ago so I'll try to remember? I think I had everything out , oil pan, trans, torque converter, rear main seal cover.

Putting back together, oil pan first, then rear main seal and cover. Post #19 and #23 here in this thread.

Sorry I was slow getting back to you, I've been traveling for 3 days.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
This is one example of a "Tahoe Yukon Forum" Thread that define's how much talent/experience is participating here. This is an amazing group of people offering opinion's, Advice and technical step by step instructions on how to take charge of vehicle maintanance. This forum is soooooo cool!

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a DIYer and have my own lift at home.
Day 1
I'm starting the process of changing the rear main seal. While I'm at it I'm gonna:
1) Replace the trans fluid and filter, 2) Install oil pan gasket 3) Replace a leaky trans cooler line, mine has an external cooler, 4) new starter, 5) new alternator, 6) install new oil cooler adapter block off, 7) Installed new improved valve cover # 12570427. I recently installed a catch can. It is collecting an once of oil every 100 miles, NOT GOOD.

It took me half a day to get the 6 nuts off that hold the exhaust pipes to the exhaust manifolds. Lots of PB Blaster, patience, and elbow grease. I borrowed a special socket to get the O2 sensors out.

Here's a link to pictures I've taken on Day 1 of this massive undertaking.
View media item 27363View media item 27372View media item 27373View media item 27378View media item 27376View media item 27377View media item 27379View media item 27380View media item 27381View media item 27375View media item 27374

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely Rust Free Truck you have from Texas. I have gone down to Texas 3 times in the 90's bringing back Rust free cars. My Yukon is from Richardson Texas two owner Truck with 163k on it when I bought it four years ago. I have had the rear main leak since I have owned it only now have I decided to fix it. I plan on doing it myself for several reasons one being its 2wd so no transfer case to deal with but more importantly I don't trust a shop that I don't know anything about or anything about the guy working on it. Money is not even a issue putting it back together correctly is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts