Range of cost for rear main seal job at a shop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having my rear main seal replaced this coming Thursday. ( It's not leaking THAT BAD, but it's very annoying..... $800.00 cash. ( I trust my mechanic )
I would love to have mine done. Is that 4WD OR 2?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm blowing 1/2-1 quart a week out of mine. :(
I'm at the about 1 quart needed at the 5k oil change mark. It doesn’t really bother me other than it's crept up from the 1/2 quart low at 5k. I'll either bite the bullet and pull the trans (put in stronger TC) and fix it, or sit like the old guy yelling at people to "get off my lawn" (cardboard in this case) so I can live with the leak. Currently at 182K

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the rear main seal on my 06 suburban last year around this time. I used the Sac City centering tool, which was like $45-ish IIRC.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a chance in hell......
But if I had a lift ($$),...... a garage ceiling high enough ( $$$ ),.....and a second personal vehicle to drive while the truck is in surgery, ( $$$$$ ),..... A transmission lift, ( $$),...... But, I'll save my time and 'sheets'.... Have my mechanic take care of it in one day.

( I actually have a nice 'piggy bank' at home for my personal " warranty budget ", so I don't freak out if I blow the engine, etc......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar