Range of cost for rear main seal job at a shop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at a little under 170k miles, and "think" I'm getting the inevitable rear main seal leak. It's more of a seap, but there's a definite leak. How much of my piggy bank should I plan on breaking open for something like this on a 4x4?

I'm currently watching a few videos to see if it's possible to do in my gravel driveway, but it's not looking to promising.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's not nearly that bad, and I still actually have some troubleshooting to do: spray down engine & recheck new valve cover gaskets, recheck oil pressure sensor. But, I haven't needed to actually schedule a shop appointment in years for anything (and never for this Yukon - knock on wood) in the two years I've owned it.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine's not nearly that bad, and I still actually have some troubleshooting to do: spray down engine & recheck new valve cover gaskets, recheck oil pressure sensor. But, I haven't needed to actually schedule a shop appointment in years for anything (and never for this Yukon - knock on wood) in the two years I've owned it.
What engine are you running? The VLOMS come loose and start to vomit oil too.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say anywhere from $500-650 is a typical cost, anymore than that and you are getting take for a ride.
it's mainly labor and a small priced part.
transmission has to come out.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 2020 I paid $1400 to have the torque converter replaced with a billet unit (also included in the cost), along with the rear main seal. The price of the converter was around $600 I believe, so that put the labor around $800 for everything.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 2020 I paid $1400 to have the torque converter replaced with a billet unit (also included in the cost), along with the rear main seal. The price of the converter was around $600 I believe, so that put the labor around $800 for everything.

How difficult is the converter swap? I've never messed with one before. Is it just pulling out the old one, and pushing on a new one?

I assume there has to be some sort of depth measurement.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep waiting for @iamdub to invite me down to his shop and he can do it and I can hand him the tools. :win:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar