Radiator Fan Issue

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by c6Vette05, Jun 12, 2019 at 8:53 PM.

1. c6Vette05

c6Vette05 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Zoran
    I have searched the forums for the past few days, and google as well, only thing kind of close is this thread but it isn't quite the same: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/electric-radiator-fans-running-more-than-usual.84960/

I have a 2011 Tahoe 5.3 LT 2wd with towing package. Now that it is hot here in Phoenix, when I turn on the car and the AC is on (AC and recirc), the left fan runs at really high speed while the right fan doesn't. The battery gauge reads just past 14 V. When I am driving, the right fan kicks on, I see the battery gauge drop down a bit, below 14 more like 13 or so. I pulled over and checked and the right fan was on, when it turned off the battery gauge went back to normal. I did not have a multi meter with me at the time.

A, is this normal?
    B, is it a fan motor issue or an ECU issue?

C, not sure if it is related or not, but the AC does get hotter (up to 48 degrees) and humid for less than a minute (I timed it) occasionally and then goes back to blowing 38 degree air (measured with digital thermometer). These measurements were on a 104F degree day. Yesterday at 109F driving home for 40 minutes, it did this cycle only 3 times.

Thanks for any help!

2. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    as far as I know it is normal for one fan to kick on higher than the other depending on the given situation I believe the ac system is cooled more on the right side, there is a known issue for some fans to cause the harness to get hot and melt the harness but I believe it was for very specific vehicles and it was a recall (or TSB) which involved just replacing the harness connector, but you could always check with your local dealer just to be sure if yours is in that range of vehicles or not.

3. Big Mama

Big Mama Full Access Member

Name:
    Steven
    Agreed on the fan and you can go to nhtsb website to see recalls and complaints

4. mikeyss

mikeyss Full Access Member

Name:
    Mike
    I was a GM tech and can tell you, this is Not normal. They both run at the same speed at all times. If they are commanded on low, both are on low. If commanded on hi, they both run on hi. However, if you use a tech2, you can command one fan to go on hi and the other on low, it's sort of a relay test. Replace your fans, especially where you live, you'll overheat at some point.

donjetman and esoteric_ast like this.