Radiator Fan Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

c6Vette05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guess it is not solved yet. Issue came back, although the right fan does work more often now. At start up only the left fan works, after driving the right fan turns on.

I will buy a new fan harness and try that first (if it is something that is just plug and play) and then a fan motor.

OP
OP
C

c6Vette05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone know if the fan motor can be changed without taking the radiator fan shroud assembly out? Trying to determine if the fan motor can be accessed from the aft of the radiator shroud. Thanks!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the fan motor can be changed without taking the radiator fan shroud assembly out? Trying to determine if the fan motor can be accessed from the aft of the radiator shroud. Thanks!
nope, the shroud is pretty easy to take out anyway, take off the intake housing and push the radiator hose back by hand it comes right out

edit: I would say "maybe" you could do it but it's going to be a real ***** compared to just taking the shroud out, there is 3 pressure clips and I think 3 screws (not sure it's been a minute since I did mine), then you have to clearance to get the fan and motor out, then put it back in and put it back together.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I saw your post here https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/electric-fan-mods.100757/

Was hoping it would be that easy but I guess not. There is a youtube video showing how to take out the fan shroud assembly, not too painful. Was only concerned about the transmission cooler lines. Was planning on doing a transmission fluid change anyway.

Thanks Wes
it may be possible depending on which fans you have, on mine the original motors screwed in from the backside, on the k5l you have take the blade off from the front (pressure clip) then the motors are screwed in from the front behind the fan blade, (see photo)

k5l.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you find you have to disconnect the transmission lines it's pretty easy as well, the little black plastic ring slides off exposing the "C" clip if you use a small poker tool you can push it off enough to grab with a set of needle nose pliers, after the clip is off they just pop out, any fluid loss is very minimal not more than a few tablespoons. install is the reverse, push the tube in, put c clip on, slide black plastic ring back into place.

OP
OP
C

c6Vette05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine are the 5 bladed ones like in your picture. I will try that first since it would be easy, will wait until Monday night though.

Want to call a few dealer part departments see if they have the radiator fan harness that has been known to go bad. Do you know the part number for the harness by any chance?

I like being thorough and don't want to just replace the motor and still have the issue if it is in the harness.

OP
OP
C

c6Vette05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if you find you have to disconnect the transmission lines it's pretty easy as well, the little black plastic ring slides off exposing the "C" clip if you use a small poker tool you can push it off enough to grab with a set of needle nose pliers, after the clip is off they just pop out, any fluid loss is very minimal not more than a few tablespoons. install is the reverse, push the tube in, put c clip on, slide black plastic ring back into place.

Thanks! That is exactly like the 1aauto video I found describes it. At first I was worried about air in the lines but I see that is not an issue.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine are the 5 bladed ones like in your picture. I will try that first since it would be easy, will wait until Monday night though.

Want to call a few dealer part departments see if they have the radiator fan harness that has been known to go bad. Do you know the part number for the harness by any chance?

I like being thorough and don't want to just replace the motor and still have the issue if it is in the harness.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwj96aGSjZDjAhXVo54KHdk0CjIQFjAAegQIAhAC&url=https://gm.oemdtc.com/Recall/16145/RCSB-16V868-8298.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1NFe_KIPJCSoWQKeb2Uxa2

should be 13580874

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3