Questions for those with the resonator delete...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I -am- at work :Handshake:

Also, the muffler Jacob and I put on are close to the original muffler size so it is not much louder then stock.

x2 on both points :D (I, too, am at work :waytogo:)

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

The only real difference I notice is there is a slight difference in exhaust note upon acceleration and cold start up. My wife, too, noticed right off the bat (even before the resonator was removed) that it was slightly more "rumbly" at start up but cruising down the highway it's not loud at all. It does get slightly louder when you romp on it but.... :D

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you see it in the above pics, it weighs exactly 34lbs.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, you can't really 'temporarily' disconnect the resonator, the only way for it to come off is to cut the pipe.

That is precisely what I did ... my muffler is still there before the axle, I just removed the resonator after the axle and replace it with the tip. This achieved a better look, sound, and weight reduction.

I'm thinking maybe you're confusing the resonator and muffler because they look the same ... or maybe I'm confusered with what you're proposing. :think:

Wow, 34 lbs is significant!

Sorry for the confusion. I was using resonator and muffler interchangeably (piece after the rear axle).

I'm at work and the tahoe is at home so I can't look at it right now and I haven't really looked at anything before the rear axle. I was assuming the stock exhaust was at least two pieces with at least one joint/flange somewhere after the muffler and before the resonator. Sounds like there isn't.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

The only real difference I notice is there is a slight difference in exhaust note upon acceleration and cold start up. My wife, too, noticed right off the bat (even before the resonator was removed) that it was slightly more "rumbly" at start up but cruising down the highway it's not loud at all. It does get slightly louder when you romp on it but.... :D

I'm not worried about start up or when romping on it, just everything else in between.

I can hear the 6 liters when I floor it now with the stock system. I like it! My wife rarely ever floors it so it wide open throttle is even louder, I doubt it'll matter.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope....all one welded piece. the muffler is about mid way back almost right under the rear door then the pipe goes over the axle, into the resonator and out the pipe. When I took my resonator off my wife thought I'd just cut off our new muffler (I had the Magnaflow welded up just a week earlier) :laughing1: Cutting that thing off with two young, curious kids playing in the driveway is quite the ordeal.... :)

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was assuming the stock exhaust was at least two pieces with at least one joint/flange somewhere after the muffler and before the resonator. Sounds like there isn't.

Yeah nope, it's not like that ... the muffler sits below the second row passenger side seat before the axle, a pipe wiggles above the axle and goes straight to the resonator. To delete the resonator, you cut it off at the holder (as pictured on previous post) and weld the tip to point to the side.

I was also hesitant to do this mod ... after having done it, it is probably my favorite mod to date as there really isn't one down side to it that I can identify. :waytogo:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was also hesitant to do this mod ... after having done it, it is probably my favorite mod to date as there really isn't one down side to it that I can identify. :waytogo:

It did take quite a bit of coaxing, didn't it? :D

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It did take quite a bit of coaxing, didn't it? :D

lol, yeah ... the clincher for me was when I took it for service at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and the service manager loved it and asked me where I got the part to do it. :)

Btw, this was a stealth mod ... as in mrs soulsea wasn't informed. She couldn't care less about cars so she would never notice that it wasn't there ... but she's never noticed the sound difference either. So there's that. :)

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Hey Albert, can we see a couple of pics of your ride as it sits right now?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:D I try and do that too where Mrs Burb doesn't notice most of the mods that are done either but this particular one was harder to conceal due to what was involved to do it :)

When I get rims for the Burb I'm sure she'll notice THAT mod, though.... :secret:

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Don't you guys work? ;)

Let me just get the configurations straight...

resonator delete with tips - soulsea

resonator replaced with a different muffler - sumo, felixgun, 07burb

I need some clarification. Forgive me, it is Monday. Now that I have the lingo straight, should the above actually be as follows:

resonator delete and stock muffler - soulsea

resonator delete and stock muffler replaced with a different muffler - sumo, felixgun, 07burb.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need some clarification. Forgive me, it is Monday. Now that I have the lingo straight, should the above actually be as follows:

resonator delete and stock muffler - soulsea

resonator delete and stock muffler replaced with a different muffler - sumo, felixgun, 07burb.

This is correct. :High 5:

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Albert, can we see a couple of pics of your ride as it sits right now?

I'll try to get around to taking a pic or two. There isn't much to see though. Just a stock vehicle except for having the hybrid decals removed.

I don't plan on going crazy with this truck since it is the wife's. Only things other things I'm contemplating right now are lights, roof rack, and lowering it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willb

Latest posts