Questions for those with the resonator delete...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, too, do not like the resonator or long tailpipe. I'm thinking about deleting them but the tahoe is my wife's daily driver so I need to make sure that the truck doesn't end up being too loud for her. Her previous dd (now mine) was an FJ Cruiser. I swapped in a Gibson Performance exhaust on it and she mildly complained that it was too loud.

The posts that I have read so far say that there is a deeper sound with no droning after the resonator delete. Is the exhaust tone noticeable in the cabin? How loud is it at highway cruising speeds? Will the truck be heard by neighbors as I come cruising around the corner? I'm asking only because I don't want to repeat what happened to the FJ (although that situation worked out because I now drive it and love the sound).

Also, it looks like the resonator has to be cut off? I don't see a joint/flange anywhere near the exhaust mount near the rear axle.

Thanks in advance.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Yes you have to cut the resonator. I've done this with a 18'magmaflow, 24' if you count the inlet and outlet. Perfect. Not to loud

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is noticeable but its all a matter of opinion. I tried to do the resonator delete/magnaflow muffler/new volant tips without my gf noticing and right when I got it done she immediately asked why it was louder the next time she got in my car lol... On the highway cruising you can barely hear it especially with road noise from the outside and if you listen to music. The truck will be heard by neighbors for sure but not that much.. gf says she can hear me turn onto my street before I even get to the house and park. Yes you cut the resonator off and put a new tip on...

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did this on my wife's DD so let me try and answer your questions one at a time :) Be aware, my answers are based on having a Magnaflow muffler (part number 12589). If you have a louder muffler the results will be different. I intentionally picked the muffler I did due to it being the wife's DD and trying to accomplish exactly what you're asking about....

I, too, do not like the resonator or long tailpipe. I'm thinking about deleting them but the tahoe is my wife's daily driver so I need to make sure that the truck doesn't end up being too loud for her. Her previous dd (now mine) was an FJ Cruiser. I swapped in a Gibson Performance exhaust on it and she mildly complained that it was too loud.

The posts that I have read so far say that there is a deeper sound with no droning after the resonator delete. Is the exhaust tone noticeable in the cabin?
The tone is noticeable but only cuz it's different than it was before. It is not loud at all.

How loud is it at highway cruising speeds?
Barely noticeable until you get on it to pass or something.

Will the truck be heard by neighbors as I come cruising around the corner?
No, the neighbors will not be able to hear you from inside their house. It's not loud. Just a little more mild rumble tone...
I'm asking only because I don't want to repeat what happened to the FJ (although that situation worked out because I now drive it and love the sound).

Also, it looks like the resonator has to be cut off?
When I did this I got the SLP and it comes with instructions of exactly where to cut the resonator off at which makes it extremely easy! The Volant assembly is nice and I'm sure it comes with instructions as well. It's really not a hard install :)
I don't see a joint/flange anywhere near the exhaust mount near the rear axle.

Thanks in advance.

Feel free to take a look at my exhaust thread. It's got before and after pics as well as a vid of the sound from outside. You can tell it's not super loud even at higher rpms.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Albert,

There's a few pics of the day I got mine deleted including a short vid of what it sounds like in this gallery: http://gallery.me.com/soulsea#100012&bgcolor=black&view=grid

The exhaust tone is barely noticeable in the cabin at low speeds, just a tiny bit more rumble than before, which sounds good, and is partly the reason I did it. After all, we have a 6L engine, no point in sounding like a Prius. :) No droning, in fact can't tell any difference at highway speeds. So nothing major, just a much nicer and subtle throaty sound.

And yes, you cut off the pipe before the clamp and weld the tip. The resonator comes off easy as pie, couple of little clamps holding it come off and the whole thing looks and sounds correct.

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Don't you guys work? ;)

Let me just get the configurations straight...

resonator delete with tips - soulsea

resonator replaced with a different muffler - sumo, felixgun, 07burb

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is correct in my case ... this is the tip I got: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...witem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

I just took a couple of pics of the resonator to show you where it was cut off:

picture.php

picture.php

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Just to be clear, the resonator and the muffler are two different things. As I understand it, the guys above deleted their res AND changed mufflers, some folks change the whole exhaust. I just deleted the res and kept the stock muffler. :waytogo:

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea how much the resonator end weighs?

Maybe I can disconnect that last resonator segment temporarily to get an idea of what it sounds like.

I'm trying to avoid replacing the resonator with another muffler. My intent is to shave some weight (blame it on my sports car experiences) and improve the exhaust note without complaints. Although I don't like the looks of the resonator, aesthetics aren't really a factor for me in this case.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Don't you guys work? ;)

Let me just get the configurations straight...

resonator delete with tips - soulsea

I -am- at work :Handshake:

Also, the muffler Jacob and I put on are close to the original muffler size so it is not much louder then stock. I did not replace the resonator with another muffler. I replaced the stock muffler with a Magnaflow muffler and cut off the resonator/welded a tip on.

Last edited:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any idea how much the resonator end weighs?

As you see it in the above pics, it weighs exactly 34lbs.

Maybe I can disconnect that last resonator segment temporarily to get an idea of what it sounds like.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, you can't really 'temporarily' disconnect the resonator, the only way for it to come off is to cut the pipe.

I'm trying to avoid replacing the resonator with another muffler.

That is precisely what I did ... my muffler is still there before the axle, I just removed the resonator after the axle and replace it with the tip. This achieved a better look, sound, and weight reduction.

I'm thinking maybe you're confusing the resonator and muffler because they look the same ... or maybe I'm confusered with what you're proposing. :think:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts