Questions for those with the resonator delete...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excuse me for my ignorance, but I have never done any mods to my engines or exhaust system to any of my cars. I was just wondering if it was possible to delete the resonator and add some sort of tips. try it out for a couple of days, and if in fact I think its not loud enough to satisfy my taste to add an aftermarket muffler like the one Jacob has later on?

You can add an aftermarket muffler at any point in this process. I'd encourage you to research via you tube to find the exact sound that you want :waytogo:

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that sounds easy to do. I just dont know if thats legal here in CA guess im going to first need to find out. Ive seen some vids on youtube but im guessing its just not the same sound with a video.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure about CA laws. The resonator has nothing to do with emissions, though. It's mainly there just to keep it as quiet as possible. It's essentially a second muffler of sorts.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah California and its dumb laws. I'll be looking into that thanks. One more question by adding tips does it change the sound whatsoever or does it stay basically the same as just cutting the resonator off.

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this page about exhaust laws in CA:

http://www.bobsmuffler.com/noise.htm

In general, I think as long as you don't delete catalytic converter(s) and keep the sound level reasonable, you shouldn't get into trouble.

Sounds like a resonator delete on a tahoe should still be plenty quiet. I've had loud exhausts on sports cars and still do and haven't had a problem. (knocks on wood)

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah California and its dumb laws. I'll be looking into that thanks. One more question by adding tips does it change the sound whatsoever or does it stay basically the same as just cutting the resonator off.

Dude, do you have a hybrid or regular yukon? This thread is going all types of directions.. In an attempt not to be a forum ****, this thread is dealing specifically with hybrids.. Hence the Hybrid General Discussion title:party33:

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a non hybrid lol, sorry for jacking this thread its just u guys were on a topic so I was like what the heck ill throw my question out there.

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a non hybrid lol, sorry for jacking this thread its just u guys were on a topic so I was like what the heck ill throw my question out there.

Nah, i dont care bro.. I just didnt want to confuse you or have hybrid guys confused...Hope that you questions were answered!

Decrow

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first time posting. I started looking at this forum today, and then went out and looked at removal of the resonator. Were the muffler connects to the resonator is a clamp fitting that when loosened (15mm socket) allows you to to wiggle the resonator free, this way you can hear what it would sound like without that restriction in the way, and put it back on at a later date. Tail pipe points to center of spare tire cavity. the clip is tack welded and I tried drilling out the weld to put on my exhaust tip. I ended up punching through the pipe so I cut off the bracket, no going back with the resonator for me now. Eventually I will have a side exit possible cat back. On a side note I have been in communication with Doug Thorley Headers, who have headers, and a resonator delete similar to Volant. How many people would be interested in a header group buy? They do not have any dyno testing on a Hybrid...... yet, I'm hoping I can be the lucky subject.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900