Question for those that have the Rear Media/Entertainment Package...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldenbear03

Reaction score
Question for you guys with the Rear Entertainment. A friend of mine just got a new Z71 Suburban and said he will have $45 per month worth of fees for the NAV/Entertainment. Is that true?

PauliePucks

Reaction score
Question for you guys with the Rear Entertainment. A friend of mine just got a new Z71 Suburban and said he will have $45 per month worth of fees for the NAV/Entertainment. Is that true?
If he chooses to use the vehicle 4g hotspot with unlimited data plan plus the remote start options from onstar after the trial, that seems about right...one of my biggest gripes is the lack of apple/android streaming support, you’re almost forced to use the hotspot unless you want a rats nest of cables all over the floor of your car and then have the kids step on said cables and then have a major repair cost in replacing the inputs.

I really hope they come out with a software update for the miracast/airplay issues.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he chooses to use the vehicle 4g hotspot with unlimited data plan plus the remote start options from onstar after the trial, that seems about right...one of my biggest gripes is the lack of apple/android streaming support, you’re almost forced to use the hotspot unless you want a rats nest of cables all over the floor of your car and then have the kids step on said cables and then have a major repair cost in replacing the inputs.

I really hope they come out with a software update for the miracast/airplay issues.

The issues with miracast are more likely that the particular android device doesn't support it. - If you have hotspot feature on your phone, that's an alternative.

Onstar 4G hotspot should be $25/month unlimited

cpayne5

Reaction score
Regarding hotspot data - there's also the option to prepay for one or two years. I bought two years for $380, which comes to less than $16/month. I've been very happy with the hotspot. It's worked well for us.

JWAustinVTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmmm. I'm not sure. It's an OTG ("On the go") cable which means there's an extra pin. I don't know if it can work as a regular cable. Let me do some research.

This cable worked and with the elbows looked clean. Unfortunately the mini USB cable it comes with has the remote receiver built in. Now have to go USB to type C with a long cord to deal with.

PauliePucks

Reaction score
We took a trip this past weekend - about 14 hours driving. My boys used the Mi Box S for a majority of the trip, watching Disney+ streamed from my wife's phone. No issues. Just an update from my previous posts complaining of Chromecast issues.
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it went smooth.

just out of curiosity, the Mi Box S and your wife’s phone were both connected to the car’s hotspot? Or was she using her cellular connection?

I’m contemplating trying to see how the input panel is wired to the vehicle. If it’s just female to female couplings, it might be possible to split one of them and add an hdmi port inside the center console. Would take a little modding, but then you could use a fire stick or chrome cast without having it dangling out the back and risk breaking anything. Just a thought. Power could be supplied by 12v lighter adapter in the console

Last edited:

cpayne5

Reaction score
Yep, they were connected to the vehicle's hotspot. The hotspot has been rock solid, with great reliability, speed, and coverage. Very happy with it. I ran a speedtest rolling down 95 at 80mph in the middle of North Carolina and was getting 60mbps down and 50mbps up. It uses AT&T.

If you decide to dig into the console, I'd be very interested to see what you find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n