Post DoD delete ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've listened to the video, I hear the sound you are talking about and I don't think there is anything to worry about. My tahoe makes a similar sound sometimes and it could be the lifters bleeding a little oil at low rpm or possibly an exhaust manifold leak.

Maybe take another video from different parts of the motor while revving the engine but I don't think there is a problem here.
My husband and dad say it’s probably normal and that I’m just hyper-aware of the sounds my car makes, which is true but I definitely hear it and don’t remember hearing it until recently.
I will take another video where I can have someone revving for me this afternoon. Thank you for your input, it’s helpful!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My husband and dad say it’s probably normal and that I’m just hyper-aware of the sounds my car makes, which is true but I definitely hear it and don’t remember hearing it until recently.
I will take another video where I can have someone revving for me this afternoon. Thank you for your input, it’s helpful!
Hyper-awareness of our cars is a good habit to be in. Your ears aren't deceiving you - there is definitely a light tick, for which there is an underlying cause. All of us will occasionally hear valvetrain noise like that from these engines. As Justin says, that's just how hydraulic lifters are. But it should quiet down, and if it doesn't, I do agree with him that it's not yet to the point where it requires attention, and may never be. If it were mine, I would run it and not worry but keep an ear out in the months ahead. I've done 3 cam swaps on my L94 due to failed lifters caused by poor quality aftermarket lifter trays. Yours are Summit brand so I don't worry about that. They appear to be made of the same charcoal gray plastic as the OEM and GM's supplier may well be the manufacturer.

OP
OP
R

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hyper-awareness of our cars is a good habit to be in. Your ears aren't deceiving you - there is definitely a light tick, for which there is an underlying cause. All of us will occasionally hear valvetrain noise like that from these engines. As Justin says, that's just how hydraulic lifters are. But it should quiet down, and if it doesn't, I do agree with him that it's not yet to the point where it requires attention, and may never be. If it were mine, I would run it and not worry but keep an ear out in the months ahead. I've done 3 cam swaps on my L94 due to failed lifters caused by poor quality aftermarket lifter trays. Yours are Summit brand so I don't worry about that. They appear to be made of the same charcoal gray plastic as the OEM and GM's supplier may well be the manufacturer.
Ok awesome. I’m taking it to my mechanic Monday just so he’s aware of the noise and can see if maybe there’s a manifold leak. If not, I’ll keep an eye out like you suggest. Thank you for the helpful comments. It is very appreciated. I will update here if anything!

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rachealae Hyper-awareness and OCD have made it very hard for me to be a car enthusiast, every small sound and leak raising my anxiety but I've learned to trust that cars are pretty tough.

When I get home from work I'll leave the engine running and open my door so that I can hear my motor before I shut it off and I would say about 50% of the time it makes a similar sound. Somewhere between a soft tick and a rubbing sound.

Also I just deleted my AFM last summer so I would agree that it is disappointing to still have a sound after all that work but the motor runs great so I stopped worrying about it. If it blows up I'll just rebuild it again.

OP
OP
R

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@rachealae Hyper-awareness and OCD have made it very hard for me to be a car enthusiast, every small sound and leak raising my anxiety but I've learned to trust that cars are pretty tough.

When I get home from work I'll leave the engine running and open my door so that I can hear my motor before I shut it off and I would say about 50% of the time it makes a similar sound. Somewhere between a soft tick and a rubbing sound.

Also I just deleted my AFM last summer so I would agree that it is disappointing to still have a sound after all that work but the motor runs great so I stopped worrying about it. If it blows up I'll just rebuild it again.
I wish I could just rebuild it if that happens to me lol
Would I be reaching if I thought this was a manifold problem? I have coolant loss and it’s NOT mixing with oil and sometimes the exhaust smokes heavy white. Also, since they did the DoD delete would they have seen if I had a crack in the head? I’m no mechanic so tell me if this is a little crazy but after doing some research I have some thoughts about it being that. Also, here is a video at cold startup , when it’s the loudest. I put it on my tire to start it up since you can’t hear it at the top.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These LS motors make a lot of noises on a cold start. Not to say there isn’t something wrong, but they are rather clanky. Lol

OP
OP
R

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
These LS motors make a lot of noises on a cold start. Not to say there isn’t something wrong, but they are rather clanky. Lol
I’m hoping it’s just being an LS motor and nothing is wrong

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rachealae I agree that doesn't sound great at first but it quiets up and sounds ok. Just sounds like cold and dry lifters

They should have been able to see a crack in the head if they were doing a good job.

Just drive it and enjoy it.

OP
OP
R

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@rachealae I agree that doesn't sound great at first but it quiets up and sounds ok. Just sounds like cold and dry lifters

They should have been able to see a crack in the head if they were doing a good job.

Just drive it and enjoy it.
Yes, I’m just worried after all that money spent it’s the same sound as my pushrod going when it first happened.
I’ll address it if it gets worse.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could just rebuild it if that happens to me lol
Would I be reaching if I thought this was a manifold problem? I have coolant loss and it’s NOT mixing with oil and sometimes the exhaust smokes heavy white. Also, since they did the DoD delete would they have seen if I had a crack in the head? I’m no mechanic so tell me if this is a little crazy but after doing some research I have some thoughts about it being that. Also, here is a video at cold startup , when it’s the loudest. I put it on my tire to start it up since you can’t hear it at the top.
That's normal startup sound, in my opinion. My 2012 sounds the same way and I have the same LS7 lifters in it that you do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo