Parking Brake Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
still having issues with passing inspection due to parking brake , if someone can post pictures of how the cables are routed right before they attach to the parking brake shoes that would be appreciated? shoes are adjusted appropriately cause when rear is off the floor i cant turn the wheels with the parking brake on . tried looking on youtube on how to adjust foot lever but cant find much . there is no adjustment nut on the intermittent cable anymore . can someone please tell me is there supposed to be any clicking noise when applying the parking brake on these trucks?
Just because you can’t turn the wheels when they’re off the floor doesn’t mean they’re adjusted right. The truck trying to move can apply WAY more force than you can with your hands. Adjust them until they barely make contact with the drum/ rotor.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the park brake shoes are not adjusted right. Explain how you adjusted them please.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The shoes are to be set at .25mm of clearance from the drum in hat rotor. The adjuster is to be disabled before work is performed on the rear and then engaged afterwards which sets the pedal. I'm not in a position to post photos but they are on this forum.

Reviving a stale thread since I'm in the process of cable replacement and parking brake adjustment on my '04.

The Haynes manual specs a 0.026" clearance between the parking brake shoe and the drum (in the hat rotor). 0.25mm would be 0.0098" (or, rounded, 0.010").

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reviving a stale thread since I'm in the process of cable replacement and parking brake adjustment on my '04.

The Haynes manual specs a 0.026" clearance between the parking brake shoe and the drum (in the hat rotor). 0.25mm would be 0.0098" (or, rounded, 0.010").
Go by Haynes and not my brain!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Go by Haynes and not my brain!

Having no good way to measure the gap, I'll tighten them up until they drag, then back them off a bit. When I had them replaced I think they didn't adjust them tight enough; told me the cables were stretched and that's true, but it's not the whole story.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
See my build thread post today about my park brake cable problems and pics of result. I like to use my park brake and so I am replacing all cables with new. Adjustment is also very important for proper usage and results. On my 05 the AC Delco numbers for front is 18P2907, center is 18P2113 for the threaded design, left rear is 18P96948 and right rear is 18P96947.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
See my build thread post today about my park brake cable problems and pics of result. I like to use my park brake and so I am replacing all cables with new. Adjustment is also very important for proper usage and results. On my 05 the AC Delco numbers for front is 18P2907, center is 18P2113 for the threaded design, left rear is 18P96948 and right rear is 18P96947.

I saw that, thanks; my front two cables are the same as yours, but the rear cables have a different connection at the lever that goes through the backing plate, so the cable ends are different.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having no good way to measure the gap, I'll tighten them up until they drag, then back them off a bit. When I had them replaced I think they didn't adjust them tight enough; told me the cables were stretched and that's true, but it's not the whole story.
I bought the tool. Used it once. But hey it worked, and my parking brakes now work for the first time ever. :happy107:

JGM70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The shoes are to be set at .25mm of clearance from the drum in hat rotor. The adjuster is to be disabled before work is performed on the rear and then engaged afterwards which sets the pedal. I'm not in a position to post photos but they are on this forum.
Did all the work but never disconnected the cables. Had my mechanic replace the cables and have to ask if he did it the way you are saying. Lousy design. Getting older and did
not want to pull everything apart again. And the screw adjustment on the cable has been
changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE